PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed, sensible please!

Ben
07-12-04, 09:22 AM
My Friend has quite a high spec engine, last week he took it to a very reputable tuning company to get the engine mapped/setup.

Less than a week later the engine was making a nasty rattling noise like something was lose, the noise got a lot worse and the engine dropped onto 3 cylinders.

After removing the head there has been a self tapping screw found in the head, this has wiped out 2 Valves minnimum and put some nasty dints in the head and cams etc.

Since having the engine mapped the car has been driven around properly and the large ITG filter covering the whole throttle body chamber has not been removed.

If the tuning company are told about this they are just going to deny all knowledge, we know where the screw came from a the TB trumpets were held on with little alan key bolts except one which had a self tapper holding it on which the unnamed company replaced with another alan key bolt, The self tapper in the head was the one that used to hold the trumpet on!

Any thoughts!

Stuart
07-12-04, 09:28 AM
get photos, and see if you have photos of the self taper in before the tuners and go to them. they should be ok about it. if they fcuked up then its their fault etc

if they get arsey go to CAB / small claims court

who was it? email it to me if you dont wanna put it up here ;) but there are 2 places i can think of right now that it could be lol

Al Wilson
07-12-04, 11:45 AM
Can you put it back together and return to the places??

Or will there be too much evidence of it being 'undone'?

The damage may be blamed on each of the two companies - one says the other did it etc.

Ben
07-12-04, 12:22 PM
Only been to one company and they are nearly 2 hours away.

Stuart
07-12-04, 12:30 PM
as said in a pm, hes being a pussy. sort it and get them to stump the bill

or post on mig as it WILL upset people

Phil GTE
07-12-04, 12:50 PM
Approach the company, if they deny it - Small claims court

Include, everyhing detailed above, time you would have spent at work (hourly rate) spent on solving this problem, cost of alternate transport, phone bills, etc, etc.

Include everything you can think of, because they will knock the figure down.

Also, look at the companies house website - it should list the director of the company. When mr x phones up, ask for the director (or whatever).

Hope it helps.

Snowface
07-12-04, 02:57 PM
trading standards/ small claims court if things get out of hand.

Nova_Newbie
07-12-04, 05:01 PM
If you need to do the small claims bit its pretty painless now, you can apply online and fill in the forms and submit them.

Good luck

Nick
07-12-04, 06:03 PM
lol, they can' really deny the fact that they did it.

the only bad thing you've done is take it apart.

If it were left then if they ask for the car to be inspected in the case of the court, then someone with good knowledge would beable to tell that the engine hasn't been tampered with after the tuning company tampered with it. i.e this prooves that your mate didn't drop the screw in there afterwards, whilst changing a gasket or something !

but really, anyone with some half-decent sense would beable to work out that realisticly the only time it could have happened was in the tuning joint.

I'd seriously recommend going and seeing a Solicitor, or if you don't want to pay, one of them civil solicitor people that the council provide for free (limited amount of time) and get some legal advice.

Then ring the company and ask to speak to the director, if he starts bullshitting you then you've got some legal jargon to threaten him with. he will be VERY stupid if he doesn't settle it then.

i'd do it quick tho...

srs1
07-12-04, 10:48 PM
agreed, the car in question and the people who done it. (who i think you are talking about) should not be allowed to get away with it.

make sure you get them to cough up the bill, as the work that has gone into making the engine the spec it is, will be just dead money spent.

BigRuss
07-12-04, 11:14 PM
Please don't let this be Will's Nova :o

Barn
07-12-04, 11:25 PM
^^^^ what I was thinking

Ben
08-12-04, 08:37 AM
Will be back on the road today, the guy who is fixing it is a legend, would have been done yesterday apart from Vaux not having valves in stock!!!

Will F
08-12-04, 08:48 AM
It is indeed my car! I was ABSOLUTELY GUTTED when I saw it had no compression on 3 or 4!! I just thought F*CK IT! I am buying a Ford!

Luckily it isnt as bad as it could have, but that still doesnt excuse the fact that a screw found itself there in the first place!

I expect that the company in question will deny it, and there is no way I can prove anything, so I guess I will just have to bite the bullet!

Ben
08-12-04, 11:26 AM
Here is the full story and outcomes etc...

http://www.migweb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=1733838&posted=1#post1733838post1733838