PDA

View Full Version : Bumper Subs - Any good?

Nova_Newbie
07-12-04, 12:05 AM
:o Saw 3 8" 350w 4 ohm Bumper subs on eBay, it says they're competition grade but seem really cheap, pic is below.

http://sc.groups.msn.com/tn/92/71/NovaLoad/1/4.jpg

I've never heard of bumper, but then I'm no ICE guru, if anyone ones got these or heard these let me know, I've bid on them and wondering if I fu*kd up! :roll:

cheers

srs1
07-12-04, 11:50 PM
i personaly would say it depends on the price.
as a guess, 350 watt out of 8" subs is about the right power if they were rms and exspensive.

if they are going really cheap, exspect to be buying a paper cone.

without trying to upset you. in the ice world, you pay for quality.
its that simple.

i have/am building my system on budget, but with lots of research for best cheapish stuff.
ie, really good stuff at there time, 2 years ago, but now cheaper.

Nova_Newbie
08-12-04, 09:40 AM
The subs were on eBay, I sat there waiting till the end of the auction and in the last 10 inutes they went up to ?150 from ?30, they were second hand, but I let them go because I didn't know if they were worth it.

How does the JBL stuff fare, I've seen 12" subs for under ?50 new. I bought a kit which had an 800w pioneer sub, 240w pioneer 6 x9 & 600w JBL amp, to be honest I only knew the more popular brands like Kenwood & Pioneer so chose the pioneer speakers but the JBL subs and 6 x 9s package was slighty cheaper.

One last question, Power caps, I never heard of them until I saw the posts in the ICE section here, is it worth getting one of these if you were running say 3 12" subs an a pair of 6 x9s off 2 600w amps? and how would you connect both amps to the power cap, is it as simple as a seperate feed from the power cap to each amp?

Cheers for the advice, same as everything... you get what you pay for.

srs1
08-12-04, 10:14 AM
power caps are designed to give a stable power supply to your amps when a deep note is being played from your system.
it's just like having a battery top up or and extra boost when needed.
it helps cause it'll prevent your lights diming or car stalling as too much power is being drawn from the sound system.

i would prob suggest that you get a bosch alternator and a cav td battery for your system, see how that works first.
atleast that way, you will have the power in the car as std without having to wire in a power cap

Ryan3k1
08-12-04, 01:45 PM
I saw a Cerwin Vega Stroker (18") go on Ebay for like ?50 and you'd be had feched to find a better sub then one of those beasts. I dunno bout the subs your looking at so can't really say but you can get a hell of alot for your money of there! I'd just go for what you've already heard and like!

Ryan3k1
08-12-04, 01:53 PM
Reread the post don't go JBL most budget one's I've heard are poo! If your looking at the Pioneer Vccs there a quality sub & I really rate them! :D

epo
08-12-04, 08:07 PM
I saw a Cerwin Vega Stroker (18") go on Ebay for like ?50 and you'd be had feched to find a better sub then one of those beasts. I dunno bout the subs your looking at so can't really say but you can get a hell of alot for your money of there! I'd just go for what you've already heard and like!

fockin hell thats cheap cerwin vega are the daddys

Nova_Newbie
08-12-04, 08:22 PM
The battery and altenator sounds like a simple solution, only problem is I forked out for a new astra high power battery last week and the altenator is also brand new :evil: , I seem to buy something 1 week then realise I fooked up and chage it for the right bit a week later.

:cry: The hazards of being a newbie to nova's & ICE, I guess you pick it up over time.

I saw the power caps for ?50 on eBay and I've built an 18mm MDF custom boot floor that is raised about 80mm so I have the clearance underneath (thought I could hide the amps there, but decided not to). So I should be able to get one under the floor. And yes it does come out to get to the spare, not sure whether to build the sides into the floor so it comes out in 1 piece or have them able to remove seperately.

:P most pressing at the moment is getting another 2 subs to run off the 1000w amp I just bought.

Jack
10-12-04, 07:10 PM
Reread the post don't go JBL most budget one's I've heard are poo! If your looking at the Pioneer Vccs there a quality sub & I really rate them! :D
I second that, JBL is poop... although not to be confused with JL audio which is quite good

epo
11-12-04, 12:54 PM
I second that, JBL is poop...

i thought this until recently but my mate bought two 12" jbl subs and the sounded absolutly awsome very loud

Jack
11-12-04, 04:07 PM
I second that, JBL is poop...

i thought this until recently but my mate bought two 12" jbl subs and the sounded absolutly awsome very loud

Really? What amps/head units were in the setup?

epo
11-12-04, 07:59 PM
jvc touch screen hu
and 1000watt jbl amp (i think)

atandard punto speakers (were unable to hear these as the bass from the subs dround the other sounds out but the subs were installed brfore the rest was put in)

ANDYRACER
23-12-04, 01:03 AM
I tell u what two 12" Kenwood Tornado subs powered of a Kenwood Kac8501d mono Amp sound quality get sum Infinity 9603i 6by9 in the rear quaters and a set of jbl components it will sound quality the subs are only 40 quid a piece the amp is 150 quid the 6by9 40 quid and the components are about 40 quids Cheap ice that is quality gear and won't break the bank and also Alpine CDM9807RB Headunits are powerful a bit dated but are goin for 130 quid and then a power cap for 60 quid some decent wiring and ur sorted

Jack
23-12-04, 12:16 PM
I tell u what two 12" Kenwood Tornado subs powered of a Kenwood Kac8501d mono Amp
Didn't think you could power two subs off a monoblock amp?

ANDYRACER
23-12-04, 01:16 PM
Yeh you can run 2 subs of a mono amp its still 2 channels you just can't run speakers of them because they are designed just for subs

Nick
27-12-04, 10:01 PM
JBL are good , cheapish equipment.,

try getting some of the GTO 936e 6x9's from motormania, only ?35 now.

they are easily as good as inifinity 6x9's e.t.c

the bass is phenominal straight out of the head unit.