PDA

View Full Version : Big Brakes install - help needed

Nova_Newbie
06-12-04, 11:28 PM
Fitting the Cav SRI discs & calipers tomorrow and I'm getting all the tools together to do the work, can anyone let me know the size of the allen bolts holding the calipers on? they're covered with metal caps and the Haynes manual doesn't say.

They're the standard 1.0ltr Spin calipers at the moment, I bought a set of hex drive bits comprising of 2.5, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 10mm wanted to make sure I had the right tools before starting.

cheers

retrosi
06-12-04, 11:29 PM
7mm for the caliper and 10mm for the carrier

Nova_Newbie
06-12-04, 11:46 PM
Luvly, thanks, I hate starting a job to find half way through you need a tool or part you don't have. Only thing can stop me now is the weather!

Gunzi
07-12-04, 12:55 PM
you may need to use a lever to get the 10mm bolt of more easily, bung a 10mm socket over the allen key and attatch an extender onto the socket.
Then you'll have a lever and a much easier way of removing the bolt without resorting to a hammer!
hope that made sense
gunzi

Aragorn
07-12-04, 02:29 PM
or just buy proper socketed hex bits and attach your 3/8" or 1/2" powerbar depending on tyhe size of the socket

Nova_Newbie
07-12-04, 03:32 PM
Went to Halfords and bought a set of the proper hex drive bits ?14, I nearly died, but made the job a lot easier. Also a 1 metre length of high tensile steel tubing helped to get some 'extra' leverage, slid over the T bar it was a piece of p*ss. I took some piccies whilst doing it, I though of posting it as a "how to" for big brakes under a new topic. Going out in a mo to give them a test.