PDA

View Full Version : ARP rod bolts

-Bruce-
06-12-04, 08:22 PM
well i got mah engine back on friday. and took the ARP bolts out the packet and tryed to fit the into the rods.

put the bolt into the end cap and it got stuck, but it went nearly right to the bottom and i thought that i could grease it up and it would thread into both the cap and the rod. the bolt threads in the rod perfect.

the reason i ask as i thought some one may have used these before and found the same wee problem. i did not realy want to force it.

cheers

bruce

burgo
06-12-04, 08:32 PM
you may have to force it mate as arp bolts are slightly thicker i beleave due to the hardening process

-Bruce-
06-12-04, 09:30 PM
i was not sure wanted to check as i did not want to fork out more cash for new ones, if i wrecked the threads.

bruce

burgo
06-12-04, 09:33 PM
i very much doubt you will reck them mate

-Bruce-
06-12-04, 09:53 PM
just being abit para as im a tight bastard and they were not cheap. cheers Luke

bruce

dunova
06-12-04, 09:56 PM
Hey bruce where did you get your arp bolts from? How much did you pay for them? It's just i'm after some and haven't really looked around yet-are demon tweeks the place to go?

srs1
06-12-04, 11:01 PM
i bought some arp bolts from a site scott parker put up ages ago for my xe.

www.rallynuts.co.uk i think. or something like that. or madnuts
it was posted in tech section about 4-5 months ago.
bargin too, ?45 with p+p for xe ones

m.d.
06-12-04, 11:03 PM
i got mine from SBD motorsport. the were at my door for 80 quid. expensive but not when you look at another engine build if a standard one goes,

mine fit as easiliy as the standard bolts. dont forget to countersink the wholes tho mate or you will wreck the bolts

Jonlem
07-12-04, 12:48 AM
Yes, make sure you do countersink the holes in the rods! very important.

-Bruce-
07-12-04, 09:15 AM
dont forget to countersink the wholes tho mate or you will wreck the bolts

ok, when you say countersink the holes you mean the holes in the end cap correct?? if so im not sure i need to as there is no countersunk edge on the bolt but i will have a look again.

could just need to do that on Big blocks??

bruce

Stuart
07-12-04, 09:23 AM
look on the SBD site, it tells you all you need to know about countersinking the bearing caps

-Bruce-
07-12-04, 09:35 AM
"Use a generous chamfer on all bolt holes (1mm)."

ok i take it that is whats needed.

bruce

Aragorn
07-12-04, 10:11 AM
told ya you needed to counter sink it :p

m.d.
07-12-04, 05:46 PM
its to stop the cap which has sharp edges from cutting into the bolt which would weaken it

DrivingSpanner
07-12-04, 06:10 PM
its to stop the cap which has sharp edges from cutting into the bolt which would weaken it

No you need to put a chamfer onto the cap to match the bolt (the bolt is shamfered to avoid the sharp corner that caused the standard bolts to crack and the head fall off when overstressed in use). Match chamfer to chamfer...