PDA

View Full Version : Inlet manifolds?

phil_sorensen
06-12-04, 11:51 AM
Alright people. Does anyone know if the inlet manifolds on the 1.3SR 1.4SR and 1.6 GTE etc are the same size and shape. I.e will i be able to put a 1.3 inlet manifold and carb on a 1.6GTE head? Sounds weird I know but I need a solution as Icantget the twin 40's till the new year and I am putting the engine in this week. Cheers.

Philsutton
06-12-04, 12:16 PM
the 1.3/1.4 ports are different shape to those of the GTE

Jonlem
06-12-04, 12:17 PM
The heads are nearly the same, the ports are different shapes on some of the models ie: SR and 1.2 etc.. but the bolt holes will line up fine. The only query I'm not sure about is on the GTE head there is a EGR feed possibly which is usually blanked off when using a twin carb manifold so I'm not sure how you would get round that when using a single carbed manifold. I'm sure there is a easy solution to it though as everything on the small block engines is very interchangeable

Snowface
06-12-04, 03:25 PM
exhaust manifolds will be fine whatever Nova head you use.

inlets are grouped like this to match:

1. 1.2/1.3 sr's are the same ahape

2. 1.4 sr/ 1.2i/1.4i are the same.

3. GTE/GSI/SRi are the same.

Now you can mix and match as the bolts do line up, but fitting a 1.3 inlet to a GTE head will make it run a lot worse. It should run though.

If you have a 1.4sr then you could just whack the whole head onto the GTE block and run it like that for a while. You will up the compression quite a bit but not enough to cause problems. a 1.3head might be too much.

phil_sorensen
06-12-04, 04:55 PM
Right I see, the reason I asked is that I have a 1.3SR head and a 1.2 head,but neither of these will be much help then. Ineed to come up with a solution that is as cheap as possible for the moment. The reason I was changing the GTE to carb was for twin 40's and more power, but also because I was told that if I used the injection system I would haveto change fuel pump and fuel lines aswell to GTE ones. Is this true?

phil_sorensen
06-12-04, 05:08 PM
A couple ofother things aswell as the question about the GTE fuel pump etc in the previous post.

-How the hell doyou get the driveshaft out of the box on the N/S, passenger side ofthe car. The guy I got the engine off of has taken an angle grinder to the shaft and there is only the gaiter left with a bit of shaft sticking out.

-Also can I use the radiatoroff ofmy 1.3SR with the GTE engine as the GTE rad is a bit passed its best.

-And lastly can I use the distributer and HT leads from my 1.3SRon the GTE as there is no distributor or leads with the engine. If this is possible will I have to change the ignition coil aswell.

I know there is allot here to help me with but I am getting really stuck now with these things and am panicing abit, as I want to get the engine in the car as soon as. Cheers guys.

Philsutton
06-12-04, 05:26 PM
fuel lines dont need changing stick with what you have it will be fine, the rad you have in the car already will be fine as well.

phil_sorensen
06-12-04, 06:29 PM
What about the loomwill that be allot of hassle though as my car usedto be carb. What about the fuel pump will that need changing. One more thing although for now I might just keep the injection system, I was toldby someone at work that Icould fit a 1.6 cavalier carb and manifold to the GTE head, isthis true. Cheers for your help. Phil

Snowface
06-12-04, 06:42 PM
i doubt a cavalier 1.6 manifold will fit unless its from a C/E16SE engine.

May be wrong there.

+ you won't need any of the loom if your running on carb's i think.

Philsutton
06-12-04, 07:17 PM
if your going to carb then all you use is the loom on your car for the starter motor an alternater ect.. an thats about it

Steve Sumpy
08-12-04, 11:16 AM
The easiest route is to get stuff from the 16SV engine not the 16 SE . This is the carburettor version of the 1600 engine,.found in Cavs and Astras. The head will have square ports.If you are going to use the mechanical fuel pump you will also need the camshaft case, as the fuel pump mount is blanked off in the SE engine.
The block is the same on both SV and SE engine I believe ????

As for ignition, the Seimens MZV E1 . ECU is dead simple (in ECU terms)and virtually burst proof, make sure you have the matching distributor and ignition module.
The orginal Bosch (brown cap) distributors are getting a bit old and cantankerous, it might be best to get a Lucas/ Delco (black cap screwed down)

byd1380
20-12-04, 01:28 PM
I know of a guy who will weld a Sri/GTE injection manifold flange onto a carb inlet - change square port carb manifold to round port injection manifold. I have slotted my location holes in the carb inlet manifod and ported them round, I have a 16sv engine in my nova but have a sri head to fit to it, I am building the car for autotesting so need good low down torque/driveability etc - so I am using a 32/34 weber. I am putting the head and carb on over christmas and will get the car rolling roaded.

Cheers

Ivan