PDA

View Full Version : Rough Running

retrosi
05-12-04, 06:02 PM
I just changed my head gasket on my 1.3sr, process was the usual. However, when i went to compress the hydraulic lifters number 2 cylinders pair were stiffer than the rest. Myself and fellow work mates decided they were just tight so we freed them up and thought nothing much more of it. The job complete i went to crank the engine, it started 1st time but ran rougher than it did before. So, i did the usual, checked the timing of the belt and distributor, renewed the spark plugs, checked ht leads. I was getting sparks on all four chambers however when i pulled the leads from the plugs with the engine running it made no difference when 1 and 2 were removed. I checked the compression of the engine and number 2 had no compression. Thinking this was strange i removed the cambox cover to check the lifters etc hadn't moved, they hadn't. The only other reason of the lack of compression was thought to be the hydraulic lifters, as the tight ones were located on number 2. I removed them, went to the bench and stripped them. Again they were tight after being freed up previously so went to the stores and luckly we had them in stock. So i fitted two new ones. Refitted everything, checked the compression and it was back. The same over all 4 chambers. Since then the car is running well other than the carb needing set up properly.

Now to my question...

Has anyone ever came across this before?

Mike
06-12-04, 07:44 PM
nope? are u sure u went thru the "correct" procedure for renewing the headgasket? :|

p.s. this shud av been put into "technical" by the way.

retrosi
06-12-04, 11:17 PM
yes i did do the gasket right...im a vauxhall mechanic. My question was just to see if anyone has ever came across it as everyone i have talked to hasnt.

I played with one of the lifters today and i cant even get them apart. Its a strange one

morrie
06-12-04, 11:32 PM
thats weird like. ive dun loads of heed gaskets on novas, never come across that.

Stuart
07-12-04, 08:27 AM
yes i did do the gasket right...im a qualified vauxhall mechanic after all.

take it to kwik fit then for a "proper" change ;) lol

Ste_Nova
07-12-04, 08:27 AM
i vice them... press all the old oil out

retrosi
07-12-04, 06:20 PM
vice clamping them to take the oil out does work however it is better to take the cap of and clean them with degreaser.

Oh....and cambridge :D