PDA

View Full Version : info weight saving parts

PAG
04-12-04, 11:42 PM
hi iam after a set of perspex/polycarb windows and a well made fibre glass tailgate has anyone bought these b4? and wheres the best place to get them?
anyone got any pics? think the windows come in bronze and clear

epo
05-12-04, 08:19 AM
ive seen a few fiber glassed parts on ebay a few times esp the tailgate

benji
05-12-04, 09:11 AM
perfomanceplastic's, or airdale race components do the windows and the tailgate can be got from eurorallye

Cheeze
05-12-04, 10:56 AM
windows can also be bought from demon tweeks in the colours u mentioned.
Perspex windows cost 150
Polycarbonate windows cost 180
kits are supplied without sliders, but can supplied at time of order,
and its the polycarbonate ones that are tinted

nathan.
05-12-04, 11:26 AM
make your own windows. perspex from b&q.

i bought my fibreglass tailgate from protec performance.
it hasnt got hinges though and no where to fit hinges, so ive used bonnet pins to secure the tailgate. it was ?120 delivered

Dan
05-12-04, 11:35 AM
Those demon tweek prices need the vat put ontop for the real cost, so your looking at ?176 for perspex and ?211 for polycarb. Kinda shows the profit margin just for cutting some windows lol.

Or another way is to get hold of an 8ftx4ft sheet of 4mm polycarb for about 70 quid. can get a whole car from one sheet if cut in the right way, and its easy enough as i did my rears and qtr windows this way with loads left over if i decide to take the winder windows out.

For a fibre glass boot as benji said, although gutting the original boot lid and some thought can get it down to 5.5-6.5 kg

GT-Dub
05-12-04, 12:43 PM
Have a look round as well for some scratch proofing stuff pagsie, or they will be a propa Arse to see outta within a couple of months

burgo
05-12-04, 01:14 PM
whats the differnce between polycarb windows and perspex windows

PAG
05-12-04, 04:32 PM
cheers for the replys lads!

Dar
05-12-04, 04:37 PM
I've just bought a tailgate and bonnet from EuroRallye www.EuroRallye.co.uk. The bonnet hasn't come yet but they both come with captive nuts so you can just bolt them on. I had to grind off the hindges from the old tailgate though. So if you want to keep the origonal tailgate its best to get some new hindges. You can get pictures of the tailgate on the EuroRallye website.

I am also putting perspex windows in. I think im going to make them myself but here are some sites that sell them.

http://www.plastics4performance.co.uk/pricing.asp
http://tjmotorsport.co.uk/products.php?id=33
http://www.rallyusedparts.co.uk/getpartsextra.cfm?ID=2903&cname=adale

Hope this helps
Dar

Stuart
06-12-04, 08:33 AM
perspex is approx 10 times stronger than glass and polycarb is approx 100 times stronger (on a like for like thickness basis)

but the poly carb with just break into nice "soft" bits if it goes as opposed to the perspex shattering with sharp bits etc.

id go for polycarb

burgo
06-12-04, 06:46 PM
perspex is approx 10 times stronger than glass and polycarb is approx 100 times stronger (on a like for like thickness basis)

but the poly carb with just break into nice "soft" bits if it goes as opposed to the perspex shattering with sharp bits etc.

id go for polycarb thanks cambridge

DrivingSpanner
06-12-04, 07:28 PM
polycarb windows are made from the same stuff as carrier bags... hense the poly bit in the name!

I've for some fantastic stuff at work called carbon dianema, its carbon fibre sheet, that is a hybrid, weaved from carbon and the same stuff as plasic bags, light as hell but i cant shatter it like carbon and i've tried everything!!!
Looks like black and white lines running in opposite directions like carbon! looks really funky but a little odd at first!!!

epo
06-12-04, 09:01 PM
polycarb windows are made from the same stuff as carrier bags... hense the poly bit in the name!

I've for some fantastic stuff at work called carbon dianema, its carbon fibre sheet, that is a hybrid, weaved from carbon and the same stuff as plasic bags, light as hell but i cant shatter it like carbon and i've tried everything!!!
Looks like black and white lines running in opposite directions like carbon! looks really funky but a little odd at first!!!

any pics?