PDA

View Full Version : Igniton timing question!!!

az_e11
04-12-04, 03:21 PM
I have a problem with my car, it lacks in power, it has always been like this.
its not like other 1.2 Novas the same year, my Nova takes a long time to build up speed when i put my foot down, the revs gradually build up, taking a long time, it gets there in the end, but takes a lot of time, unlike other 1.2 Novas i have driven..

I know its a 1.2 Merit and is gonna be a bit slow, but not as slow as this.

Where as my mates 1.2L nova a year older than my H reg, as soon has he floors it , he just flys past me, with no engine mods .

The last time i asked this question people said its my ignition timing

Does any one know how much it would cost me to get the ignition timing sorted by someone/ or a garage??

Thanks

david dixon
04-12-04, 05:32 PM
I would think it will cost no more than a tenner, all thay have to do is check where its at and advance to about 10 deg before tdc

Philsutton
04-12-04, 07:45 PM
is yours the 1.2i? not sure when they started making them. If it is then there is your problem

az_e11
05-12-04, 11:58 PM
Nope mine is a 1.2 m8, mk1 1990,

Phil_G
06-12-04, 01:09 AM
when was car last serviced?

does it show any other problems eg: excessive fuel/oil consumption?

any unexplained water loss?

etc
etc
etc

Phil

robb
06-12-04, 09:02 AM
It's timing and I think you have asked this before, a while ago now though and you still haven't had the timing done!

Stuart
06-12-04, 10:41 AM
or you have a WR gearbox and your mate has a CR one ;)

az_e11
06-12-04, 08:26 PM
It's timing and I think you have asked this before, a while ago now though and you still haven't had the timing done!

yep, I know, just havent had the time, but will be getting it done, hope this sorts out my problems

And also Phil_G , yes I have noticed that my car does have a problem with excessive oil consumption, but however no water loss problems
Y?

cherz

Adam
06-12-04, 11:18 PM

yep, I know, just havent had the time, but will be getting it done, hope this sorts out my problems

And also Phil_G , yes I have noticed that my car does have a problem with excessive oil consumption, but however no water loss problems
Y?

cherz
Probably losing oil past the piston rings, so losing compression slightly, thats where your power is going.
Do you get any blue smoke when revving it.
Or is the oil leaking out the actual car itself, any leaks underneath sump.

az_e11
07-12-04, 12:48 AM
[/quote]
Probably losing oil past the piston rings, so losing compression slightly, thats where your power is going.
Do you get any blue smoke when revving it.
Or is the oil leaking out the actual car itself, any leaks underneath sump.[/quote]

Nope i do not get any blue smoke, and cannot see any leaks under my car , the only reason i know it uses too much oil is coz after a few months, the engine sounds reallly tapetty, and noisy, then i sort this out with putting some more oil in it, it then sounds fine, and runs smoothly.

cherz m8

Aragorn
07-12-04, 10:06 AM
if your running it to the point where its rattling before filling it up with oil your prolly causing exsessive wear on engine components which will probably go part of the way to explaining why its running shite

robb
07-12-04, 12:27 PM
if your running it to the point where its rattling before filling it up with oil your prolly causing exsessive wear on engine components which will probably go part of the way to explaining why its running s**t

Yep, I had a 1.2 in to do a 1.4/1.2 jobbie and the rockers were so worn the valves mustn't have been opening much at all.

Don't know wether it's different components in a 1.2 so they are softer or people just don't check the oil in them till it rattles but the rockers I had were absolutely useless!

Whip the rocker cover off and check the cam and rockers for excessive wear.

Stuart
07-12-04, 12:34 PM
i wish i kept the cam i took out of Wills old 1.2 engine. it was basically round.

check your oil once a week and keep a litre in the boot/engine bay.