PDA

View Full Version : ?VALVES?

phil_sorensen
04-12-04, 01:04 PM
I am currentlyrebuilding a 1.6GTE lump for mynova, and was going to replace the vavles for compression. I went down to my local store, thinking that 8 vaves wouldn't set me back that much, but they were bloody ?22 each, thats ?176 for all 8. Does anyone know anywhere I can get them cheaper, as I'm on a bit of a budget been near christmas an all. Cheers.

Jonlem
04-12-04, 01:23 PM
if ur valves aren't bent then i wouldn't bother replacing them

new valve guides would be more important but again not neccesary

I've never had a problem with re seating valves, just spend quite a while doing it and all will be ok, if u dont fancy the job yourself go and speak to you nearest engine shop and ask about 3 way angled valve seats, proper job but again I've never had a reason to go so far,

I think you'll be better off justusing the ones you have

What you building anyway

Philsutton
04-12-04, 04:34 PM
my ultra big valves that i have in the V8 only cost half that each :o

nathan.
04-12-04, 08:00 PM
try re-lapping the valves in, if there not damaged. if they are damaged buy a second hand head. theres a ported and polished one on ebay

125scouse
04-12-04, 09:04 PM
them valves are sodium filled valves, that you cant grind in due to the sodium inside them, i think u can get 1's without tho m8, an they'll be alot cheaper

might be wrong tho

nathan.
04-12-04, 09:37 PM
didnt know that. so how do you lap them then. i thought all valves need lapping into there seats.
ive got to do a x16xe tomorrow

Stuart
06-12-04, 08:16 AM
the exhaust valves of the LET are sodium filled due to the mad exhaust temps, but most other Vx's are just regular ole solid metal ones

relap the valves and be done with it, unless the stems are worn.

phil_sorensen
06-12-04, 11:42 AM
No nothings wrong with the old valves just thought as the engine was in bits,and its done a few milesI would replace the vavles to up ompression. But cant be arsed with the hassle now. I'm almost finished rebuilding it. I just got my full system through off ebay for ?50. Ijust have to find a 1.6 cavalier manifoldnow until I get the twin 40's inthenew year.Cheers forthe help guys.