PDA

View Full Version : Is this correct for a 1.2 mk1 Nova

az_e11
04-12-04, 12:15 AM
Quote(What I thought):
alrite but i thought if the cambelt snapped in service, the engine would get damaged i av heard pistons would get bent., or some s**t like that

(A response i got from someone)
on some engines then yes if the cambelt snaps its possible that the valves will bend, as the piston will return to TDC without the valve retracting, not nice. However as far as i remember the 1.2 isnt an interference engine so if the worst did happen and the belt snapped its unlikely any valve damage would occur. Youd just give yourself a load more hassle than going and gettin it done now thats all

Does any 1, know whether this is true.
Cherz

8)

mowgli
04-12-04, 07:30 AM
about 15 years ago, I was exitting a motorway at about 70mph and changed down to third, and stripped the belt, a nice rac man stuck one on it and I drove away. There was absolutely no damage, and I got about 50000 miles out of the engine before I stuck a bigger one in the car

morrie
04-12-04, 01:30 PM
yeah thats happend to me too. it does no damage. handy to carry a spare though.

Philsutton
04-12-04, 04:47 PM
when i did mine on my old 1.2 i was driving quite slow then bang the cam belt snapped an took out more than half the valves. I dont have the best of luck so chances are its only happened to me