PDA

View Full Version : Bigger Brakes

mad-driver
02-12-04, 10:39 AM
Hi everyone,

It's always been a story that i've heard that Nova SR brakes are shite. Now i wouldn't say mine are, but they could be alot better. Anyway im thinking of perhaps getting some Astra GTE front brakes. What would i need to do this? Is it just a straight swap or is some work involved?

Also what size wheels will i need because at the minute i only have the standard SR steel wheels which are 13inch i believe

cheers

Adam
02-12-04, 10:48 AM
Its a straight swap, unbolt your caliper, unscrew disc, bolt astra disc and caliper back on.
I think you need at least 14" wheels to fit the calipers under though.

-Bruce-
02-12-04, 10:53 AM
The job is easy and is a straight swap mate.
Get some reconed calipers or buy a set from a cavi or astra in the scrapyy and then give them a good clean and look at the piston and rubber seals, If they are in a bad way replace them.
Get brand new disks and pads from your local motorfactor should be cheap.
When your in the scrapy look for a Nova GTE brake servo as they are better. (but its not needed)

As for the size of wheels will fit over the brakes. Dont think that the 13 inch ones will fit. But i know some 14 inch wheels do fit.

bruce

General Baxter
02-12-04, 10:54 AM
yeah you need 14+ inch alloys!

Gunzi
02-12-04, 11:15 AM
The Nova GTE/GSi SR 3 spoke Ronal Wheels do not fit the calipers under them, most other 14" wheels do tho'

Ste L
02-12-04, 11:27 AM
sorry for hi-jackin this post but,
is an sri servo the same size as a gte/gsi one ???

Cheers
Steve

Adam
02-12-04, 11:50 AM
sorry for hi-jackin this post but,
is an sri servo the same size as a gte/gsi one ???

Cheers
Steve
I would say its smaller, but i dunno for sure.

Ste L
02-12-04, 11:54 AM
i thought it might be the same, due having gsi brakes ??

mad-driver
02-12-04, 12:27 PM
wow this thread aint been here long and already im infiltrated with answers! Thanks alot guys thats been a big help, although i thought i would need larger wheels to fit bigger stopping power under.

But nearer the time when i get some alloys i will acquire some brakes too

cheers

Barn
03-12-04, 01:14 PM
my brakes are off a Cav SRi and they are really impressive...you wont believe the difference between them and the SR setup if you think the SR setup is good

With good pads its an excellent setup...I outbreak everything round my way

DrivingSpanner
03-12-04, 01:44 PM
or it could just be that every1 round your way drives like a girl and isnt trying.... besides having big balls dont make you a good driver, just a liability on the road !

Barn
03-12-04, 01:52 PM
lol^^^

if they are not driving 'like a girl' and they are trying I still outbrake them

DrivingSpanner
03-12-04, 06:20 PM
you missed my point barn, its a public road, save that sorta thing for the track, apart from the cops doing you and loosing your licence if cought... what happens if there is a pedestrian that steps out cos you went there then they looked 3 seconds earlier cos you were driving too fast how bad would you feel then?

think on...

Barn
03-12-04, 06:31 PM
ok dad :+:

nah, I know what you mean...I dont drive like a tw*t anyhow...I have already learned my lesson

DrivingSpanner
03-12-04, 07:08 PM

you WISH i was your DAD!!!

DrivingSpanner
03-12-04, 07:10 PM

nah, I know what you mean...I dont drive like a tw*t anyhow...I have already learned my lesson

A little off the teche subject but it sounds like there is a story in there somewhere?!?!?

Barn
03-12-04, 07:23 PM
yeh, it was before you were on Novaload

...I rolled my Nova in the summer

DrivingSpanner
03-12-04, 07:31 PM
what sort of roll? ham, cheese, marmite??? hee hee, no really...

welll No it wasnt before i was on novaload, it was when i was on a break... well yes that would have tought you a lesson tho

Jonlem
03-12-04, 08:56 PM
these are what u want really

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v306/Jatec/brakes.jpg

Never ever let me down, funnily enough! and fit behind 16's too

Nova_Newbie
03-12-04, 09:05 PM
About to undertake a similar job this weekend, Cav 1800 SRI calipers and disks, Nova GSI brake servo also replacing the front & rear suspension with nova GSI. Hopefully this will improve the current 1.0 Ltr Sprite brakes!

One question: does it have to be 14" + Alloys or are steel 14" rims off the Cav SRI OK?

Will let you know how it goes.

cheers

Matt Nova
04-12-04, 05:40 PM
steelies whould be ok I thinks :?

is just the diameter that matters I thinks

Philsutton
04-12-04, 06:04 PM
if the brakes came off a cav then the cav steelies will fit

Jonlem
04-12-04, 06:41 PM
ate 16v brakes from a cav or astra will fit behind standard 14" nova steelies so any others ie: smaller brakes will have no problems in fitment

Only problems I have ever had are late calibra 16v brakes, a few pairs which I assume came from late calibras seem to foul on the wheel and even on Allesio2 they do the same, solution, Big grinder on caliper, sorted :)

Nova_Newbie
07-12-04, 08:10 PM
I put the Cav SRI calipers and discs on today, absolute doddle. Only problem I encountered was you had to add a couple of washers to the 2 bolts securing the caliper to the steering knuckle, the bolts were a teeny bit too long with the new calipers.

Posting pics and a how it was done later if it helps.

Aragorn
07-12-04, 10:24 PM
err you shoudnt have needed any washers?

burgo
07-12-04, 10:35 PM
what brakes are on a carlton gsi?? as theres one down my scrappy and the calipers are fooking masive. gonna get the i recon. what servo and master cylinder do these have aswell?? as if this fits i may aswell get that aswell