PDA

View Full Version : Pinking after engine swap

MechaT
29-11-04, 10:48 PM
Swapped my 1.3 block for a 1.6 but using the 1.3 head. I tuned up the engine with Gunson's ColourTune. Three cylinders run fine, but No. 4 pinks likes mad under load. With the Colourtune I can see that its sparking but not igniting, except for a sporadic misfire.

Anyone have any ideas why?

Snowface
29-11-04, 11:21 PM
what octane petrol you using?

Also, take your rocker cover off and check that all the valve springs are still held down by the clip thingy's.

ALLNOVA
29-11-04, 11:58 PM
if it sparks and doesnt fire there is no compression, snowface is right get the rocker off and have a look.. get a crypton tune when you sort it, it will be much better than the gunson 8)

broony
30-11-04, 08:53 AM
Silly question here, but what is pinking again?

broony
30-11-04, 11:39 AM
Ignore that, i know what it is lol!

MechaT
30-11-04, 01:03 PM
Cheers I'll chaeck that. If I'd bent a valve by not timing it up properly would it be noisy?

DrivingSpanner
30-11-04, 01:18 PM
to be honest it sounds more like the valve isnt opening... could be a bent valve but usually they wont close if they are bent, one of the rockers fell off maybe? that'll bend a valve when its shut, havnt overreved it have you?!?

MechaT
30-11-04, 07:39 PM
Took off the rocker cover and both the No. 4 valves open and close (tho I suppose the only way to tell if they close fully is with the head off).

The head gasket is leaking so I suspect I didn't torque up the head bolts properly. Does this mean that the head is now warped? I've driven a very slow 20 miles in total.

maxpaine
08-12-04, 09:37 PM
did you found the problem that you had???

retrosi
08-12-04, 10:07 PM
the nova head gasket bolts should be torqued to 25lbft then turned 3 times through 60 degrees in an outwards spiral motion....if you did this you should of had any problems. ps did you take apart the lifters to remove the oil...its better than squeezing them in a vice