PDA

View Full Version : 1.2i to 1.6i

hendrix
29-11-04, 03:00 PM
Is the job of changing the engine from a mk2 1.2i single point to a 1.6i multi point from a GTE an easy job?? I have all the GTE bits but would i need to change the fuel pump or anything on the 1.2?
Basically whats involved in the conversion??
Can i use the 1.2 manifold and exhaust??

Alex
29-11-04, 03:04 PM
relatively easy.
My 1.2spi fuel pump gave up on the 1.6 so i had to replace it
1.2 manifold & exhaust would fit, but would be a bit restrictive.

Better brakes would be advisable

Chris
29-11-04, 03:35 PM
yep, direct replacement just a bit of wiring. I wouldnt use the 1.2 zorst though

Chris

Philsutton
29-11-04, 03:40 PM
its fairly easy swap, just uprate all the other parts that go with it as well

Glytch
29-11-04, 10:29 PM
Just got a gsi engine running in my 1.2 merit yesterday whilst waiting for bits for the valver.
Conversion was piss. Only thing giving me any stick is the brake hoses :evil: :evil: :evil: :!: :evil: :!: :evil: :!: :!: :evil: :evil: :!: :!: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Curse curse curse

U'll need the complete loom from the gsi though for things like the fuel pump relay etc. Or is the 1.2i the same? I dunno, mine was carbs.

Also if ur changing exhaust you'll need the full system.
Would also recommend uprating the suspension, anti roll bars brakes etc.
If you need any bits give us a shout.

What about the fuel pipes? Underneath from the engine to the fuel tank are the metal ones or the crappy plastic ones, if theyre plastic then theyll njeed binning. If theyre metal theyre probably rusty so bin them as well.

Ste_Nova
30-11-04, 08:06 AM
plastics fine as long las they are injection ones.....

we run 3.5bar on plastic 1.2i lines on the turbo we built

Snowface
30-11-04, 08:29 AM
glytch, why you need to change brake hoses? Do you mean the vacuum unit hose?

Glytch
30-11-04, 08:03 PM

What about the fuel pipes? Underneath from the engine to the fuel tank are the metal ones or the crappy plastic ones, if theyre plastic then theyll njeed binning. If theyre metal theyre probably rusty so bin them as well.

Nick
30-11-04, 10:35 PM
yep it is an easy swap.

it's harder when it's 1.2 carb to 1.6i

the 1.2 zorst will mate up with the 1.6 manifold IIRC

Snowface
30-11-04, 11:21 PM

i don't get it. You're on about fuel pipes there and brake hoses also?

you getting mixed up between the 2 perhaps.

Dobby
01-12-04, 12:20 AM
I helped Robb put a 1.6i lump in his 1.2 shell and it was straight forward apart from a few minor probs (coil needed a seperate earth) it went well. We fitted the entire engine loom of the Gsi on it and it mated up perfectly. Just make sure any problems wiring wise look at all years in the haynes manual cause a few colours did change but they are easy to find with a bit of common sense

Riggy
01-12-04, 12:39 AM
Conversion was p**s. Only thing giving me any stick is the brake hoses :evil: :evil: :evil: :!: :evil: :!: :evil: :!: :!: :evil: :evil: :!: :!: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Curse curse curse

think this is what snowface was asking about ?