PDA

View Full Version : Squeeking brakes!!!

dunova
28-11-04, 02:55 PM
Right, my brake's just won't shut the fook up! I've had both pads off on each side and filed them back with a heavy duty file-they still squeek!
Could it be that the pads are contaminated with oil/brake fluid/anything?
Can the discs cause squeeking for any reason? I think maybe the pads are contaminated and i should just buy some new one's but just wondered if the discs could be to blame?
They're astra gsi discs and calipers by the way. Cheers

General Baxter
28-11-04, 03:00 PM
did you change the mouse when having the pads done?

dunova
28-11-04, 03:03 PM
did you change the mouse when having the pads done?

What a constructive comment :roll:

Anyone with a little less time to waste?

Aragorn
28-11-04, 03:40 PM
do u have the antisqueal springs fitted on the calipers?

dunova
28-11-04, 05:01 PM
do u have the antisqueal springs fitted on the calipers?

Never knew they existed! Where should they be on the caliper? I'll have a look tomorrow

Barn
29-11-04, 12:15 AM
mine 2.0L setup squeak like fuck

I've found abit of left-foot braking seems to get rid of it :) 8) as soon as mine warm up abit they are ok then

I know that with my brake pads came with antisquel pad things but we decided to leave them off

sorry i cant be any more of a help mate...

it did annoy me at first but I've just got used to them squeaking now

dunova
29-11-04, 08:09 AM
as soon as mine warm up abit they are ok then

It's when mine warm up that they start squeeking!

I'm going to have another look at them and if i can't find anything i'll fit new pads. Annoying though because they've got a lot of tread left.

They don't squeel when i brake hard-maybe v.late braking is the way forward-scare the person in front sh**less :lol:

Aragorn
29-11-04, 12:00 PM
its a metal spring clip that fits on the front of the caliper, sometimes known as a "fitting kit"

looks kinda like a stretched out paper clip

goes into two holes on the front of the caliper body and applies spring force against the carrier

they are there to help stop pad squeal

Aragorn
29-11-04, 12:04 PM
these are the springs

http://www.spmotorsports.com/img/contour_brake_hardware.jpg

and u can just about see them fitted here:

http://www.tomstickland.co.uk/astra/mods2/wheels/new_caliper.jpg

DrivingSpanner
29-11-04, 04:43 PM
what brake pads are in the car??? some do squeall particually 'performance' ones

dunova
29-11-04, 08:30 PM
Cheers for the info Aragorn, i have got them fitted. I've just got standard pads in there. I might get some ferodo pads, i had them for my 1.2 and they were quite good-no squeeking aswell!

DrivingSpanner
30-11-04, 11:03 AM
if you dont like squealing brakes keep well away from any carbon-metalic performance pads out there!! noisy as hell

125scouse
04-12-04, 06:53 PM
make sure you have the anti rattle shims in, and use loadsa copper slip on the back of the pads :wink: