PDA

View Full Version : 1.2i mods

stuart18
28-11-04, 01:02 PM
what is the best proformance mod you can get for a 1.2i for ?150?

Chris
28-11-04, 01:09 PM
interior out, lost some weight. Or save up for a bigger engine, or if you are handy fit one yourself, you should be able to get one for that price if you shop around

Chris

stuart18
28-11-04, 01:11 PM
are k&n kits worth it on such a small engine?

Chris
28-11-04, 01:12 PM
not a noticable difference really to be honest

nova ian
28-11-04, 01:18 PM
i have just put a 'green' filter on mine and as said above, its not noticeable, well only to your ears :lol:

stuart18
28-11-04, 01:27 PM
i have been told that uprated spark plugs give it a bit of a punch but i dont know if it is really true.

-Bruce-
28-11-04, 01:32 PM
as chris says strip out the interior and then fit a gte cam and followers, a system with no CAT. this does give you more power higher up the revs. dont bother with the spark plugs mate. there will be no difference. and give the engine a service this will help.

bruce

stuart18
28-11-04, 01:35 PM
how much would that cost excluding gettin it done coz ma bro is a machanic. what sort of top speed should it get standard and then with it done?

-Bruce-
28-11-04, 01:44 PM
interior removed will cost nothing
gte cam and followers prob ?20 from a car in scrappy
and you will need a gte maniflod and down pipe prob ?20-?30
and a full system new or secondhand ?60 -?150ish

:roll: lol at what top speed, vauxhall top speed prob 120. but real top speed about 100 if your lucky.

bruce

Philsutton
28-11-04, 03:26 PM
for the price of an air filter you could get an 1.4, my beast of a 1.2i made 96 on a speed camera an that was just with the cat removed

srs1
28-11-04, 03:53 PM
as said, interior removed, i would prob suggest a gte brake conversion and suspension.

realistically you aint going to get massive performance out of little car.
best way you will get better results will be too, lose weight improve stopping power and your suspension.

Adam
28-11-04, 04:09 PM
I think the book top mph for a 1.2 is about 100mph.
If you can do it swap the engine for a 1.4sr, or 1.3sr. Should pick engine etc up from an SR for a lot less than ?150.
But if you are keeping the 1.2i do the gte manifold/zaust mods and strip out the interior.
If you can find a GTE in the scrap yard.
You will need a manifold with the lamda hole in as well, i don't think GTEs had one, so maybe an SRI manifold. I may be wrong about the GTE not having one though.

Ste L
28-11-04, 04:17 PM
yea SRi or late GSi have got them

stuart18
28-11-04, 04:55 PM
cheers,
think i will stay wi the 1.2i for now coz its ma first car. wut will either upgrade to an sri or get a sri engin in it an about 6 month if i havnt smashed it LOL

nam
28-11-04, 07:59 PM
cheers,
think i will stay wi the 1.2i for now coz its ma first car. wut will either upgrade to an sri or get a sri engin in it an about 6 month if i havnt smashed it LOL

not having a crack at you or anything but please type properly.

Matt Nova
28-11-04, 08:25 PM
i've got a 1.2i mate and they're slow

i've done service e.g new plugs leads etc, full ashley from a 1.3 inc de-cat,
corsa airbox induction kit, bilstein suspension, strut brace, etc

top speed is 89mph according to vauxhall

lol they manage more than that though :wink:

Rach
28-11-04, 08:30 PM
well, i have a 1.2 and it's slow as hell

i havent done anything to speed it up coz i dont think its worth it...

i'm just going to wait till i'm older and have more no claims, then get a bigger engine, or a bigger car :D

Matt Nova
28-11-04, 08:45 PM
thats my plan rach wait till november when i'm 20 with a years ncb and more powerful engine time :D

epo
28-11-04, 08:52 PM
for 1.2 performance stuart aka cambridge is the man to talk to as he was curently building a super quick 1.2

Barn
29-11-04, 12:07 AM
yeh but as far as he's been making out he is also spending a stupid amount on it..this guy only has ?150.

I would get a backbox and an air filter and leave it at that. And give it a good service.

Then at least it will sound like its going fast

Aragorn
29-11-04, 12:33 PM
yer ive done pretty much what brucey says to a 1.2i and its defo nicer to drive now

get a GTE camshaft for ?20ish
SRi manifold and GTE downpipe - ?40ish
GTE system (i used an ashley system but a std gte one would do fine) ?30ish

get a performance element for your std airbox and remove the restrictor from the front of it ?20ish (or follow my guide to building a ?30 induction kit for an spi if u can find it - pm me if u cant and i'll send u it)

then if u want u can use the remaining ?30 to get a backbox from ebay if u want some extra noise (or to pay for the bits needed to fit the cam)

then strip out the rear seats etc for more free accelleration

i had a std 1.2i at 5600rpm in 4th which equates to 103mph real speed - this was down hill tho

epo
29-11-04, 03:16 PM
yeh but as far as he's been making out he is also spending a stupid amount on it..this guy only has ?150.

I would get a backbox and an air filter and leave it at that. And give it a good service.

Then at least it will sound like its going fast

yeah i know he said he was spending a fair bit on it

he might be able to just say a few cheap mods or summat likes been mentioned like a cam fom an sri ect
or this lad might get a decent amount of money together and do what stu is doing at a later stage least he'll have an idea of whats involved :D

Alex
29-11-04, 03:20 PM
yeh but as far as he's been making out he is also spending a stupid amount on it..this

Although money is being spent Camb's car is supposed to be a "budget" project

stuart18
29-11-04, 05:08 PM
wel i could spend ?300 if i dont get a sub or anything

Adam
29-11-04, 07:43 PM
If you want decentish performance for a 1.2 then ICE is a no,no.
Subs and amps etc will give you the weight of another person in the car.
I would stick with the gte exhaust/cam etc, strip out the entire rear interior and have no ice.
If you want some sounds then just get a cd player and some co-axial speakers, to save weight of 6x9s or whatever.

Matt Nova
30-11-04, 12:22 AM
my install dosen't weigh much at all really

got a twelve inch jbl in a small box etc sounds good like and didn't cost much :)

Stuart
30-11-04, 08:19 AM
if i were you id just accept that the car isnt going to be "quick" and maybe do some cosmetic things like the exhaust and prehaps the airfilter along with a decent service and ecu reset

just make do with an average performance car until your in a position to drop a larger engine in such as a 1.4 or 1.6 (maybe even a 2.0)

i know im doing a 1.2 but its to prove a point. what you want is a bit more grunt until you can get a faster car.

dont waste your money on fruitless mods.

Aragorn
30-11-04, 03:29 PM
the thing to remember is the main stuff ive suggested would all work just fine on a 1.4 or 1.6 (infact the exhaust would really need upgraded for these larger engines anyway) so spending ?100 on some ehxaust bits isnt really a waste of money

the money spent on the cam could be argued as a waste but meh u can always sell it on plus u dont really have to inform the insurance as they aint gonna pull the engine apart to ensure its got std cam in it etc

going from a std 1.2i to my bros car is surprising, and we didnt really spend any unneccesary money on it - cam was free, i had the sri manifold in the shed and the downpipe off my 1.4 and he wanted an exhaust so i got him to spend him money on a full ashley system instead which being 2" would happily run any engine upto a 2.0 if he upgrades in the future

brizie69
30-11-04, 04:11 PM
so any tips for the 1.2 carb engine?

as mentioned in another thread my novas already got a few things done, 4-1 manifold pierburg carb etc but runs a 1.3 head but iv bin told that the 1.3 head is no good on the 1200 block! can any one tell me why this is as iv never looked in too it.

also the engines coming out soon so any advice 2 wot head i should put on wood be great! :wink:

cheers

Adam
30-11-04, 06:39 PM
so any tips for the 1.2 carb engine?

as mentioned in another thread my novas already got a few things done, 4-1 manifold pierburg carb etc but runs a 1.3 head but iv bin told that the 1.3 head is no good on the 1200 block! can any one tell me why this is as iv never looked in too it.

also the engines coming out soon so any advice 2 wot head i should put on wood be great! :wink:

cheers
Simple, ditch the Pierburg and get a weber 32/34 or twin 40s.

Snowface
30-11-04, 11:36 PM
or look in the 1.2 tuning guide at the top of this forum.
god dam. lol.