PDA

View Full Version : brake pads

nova_madness
27-11-04, 08:39 PM
ok i have just brought a mk1 nova and im in the process of changing the brake pads and disks but now i have got the brake pads off and put the new disk on the new brake pads wont fit on.
when i put 1 in there is not enough room on the other side off the disk to put the other 1 on.
i have been told that it might be that shitty halfords have sold me the wrong pads but could it be somethink else.
cheers every
john.

Donova
27-11-04, 09:00 PM
have you pushed the pistons back in? might be tight, use a bit of wood. hope this helps. :)

nova_madness
27-11-04, 09:14 PM
done it m8 wont go any more

Donova
27-11-04, 09:21 PM
might be wrong discs,checked thickness? :roll:

nova_madness
28-11-04, 12:04 AM
they are the same m8?
im guessing that it,s the pads that are wrong but i dont know.
1 more thing u know the screw that holds the brake disk to the hub where can i get 1 off them from as the old 1 snapped and i had to drill it out the hub but now dont have a screw to put on the new disk?
cheers
john

-Bruce-
28-11-04, 01:10 AM
as for the pads not fitting in they will prob be the wrong ones. are they the same shape only thicker??

and the small screw to hold the disk on you could get from a scrappy if you like but you dont need it as the wheel bolts will hold the disk on. but for the sake of a screw just get one.

bruce

Ste_Nova
28-11-04, 10:33 AM
there are 2 different thicknesses of non vented front disks

nova_madness
28-11-04, 02:58 PM
ok then.
can i check the thickness to the old ones that come off?

Ste_Nova
28-11-04, 05:52 PM
http://www.juliemorgenstern.com/products/TM_with-Ruler-Back.jpg

nova_rally
28-11-04, 06:18 PM
Discs should be 10mm thick (thats 1cm to the uneducated). When youre pushing the piston make sure you unscrew the fluid reservoir cap or the piston simply will not move. Have you fitted shims to the pads? Do the pads appear to be the same as the old ones? Are the sliders on the calipers working properly?

nova_madness
28-11-04, 08:13 PM
the new pads are identical ones to the old one,s and the new disks are the same as well.
the piston is all the way in.
and to the sliders i havent a clue wat they are as im new to the car department.
so if any 1 can help it would be great as im lossing patience with it now and it,s doing my ed in lol.
cheers every1
john

a11ova
28-11-04, 11:58 PM
dont you use the little flip charts yourself in halfords?? that would mean you bought the wrong ones?! :P

Barn
29-11-04, 12:19 AM
are your old discs proper fucked?

if not, put the new pads on with the old discs and see if they will fit that way

nova_madness
29-11-04, 10:19 AM
funny enough i did use the flip chart in halfords when i bought the pads lol.
and the old disks where warped very badly,i had to hammer the old pads off as they was stuck to the disk.
To be honest i might put a match to it as iv,e done alot off hard work to it like new bumpers,skirts,new interior and now i cant drive the bloody thing cus off this little problem.
Any more advice or ideas would be great thanx .
cheers

Aragorn
29-11-04, 12:20 PM
well either the piston isnt all the way in (try opening the bleed nipple and banging the piston back with a mallet and wooden drift)

or u have 12mm disks from a mk2 nova instead of 10mm disks for the mk1

measure the new disks and see

nova_madness
29-11-04, 07:11 PM
I have double checked the piston and it wont go no more it is all the way in and for the disk they are the right ones.
thats wat i dont understand it cant be anythink else surely.
If any 1 does have any more ideas then it would be much appreciated cheers.