PDA

View Full Version : Alternator voltage, still not right??

az_e11
27-11-04, 07:15 PM
I have got a new alternator on my 1.2 nova, which only seems to be reading the correct voltage, at high revs, so basically to get it to read 14.25-14.75 volts, I need to rev up my car up every time.
The alternator is working, as it does go up to the correct voltage, but it can take a lot of work some days., to reach the correct v.

Could this be any thing to do with the fan belt, as i can still get the belt too slip on the metal fan bit with my hand if i try very hard, and this is the tighest the belt will go, its like the belt has been stretched.

any help

:( :(

Aragorn
28-11-04, 01:13 AM
blown or disconnected dash bulb?

Ste_Nova
28-11-04, 10:33 AM
new alt bushes.....

az_e11
28-11-04, 11:52 AM
blown or disconnected dash bulb?

Sorry m8, but i dont av a clue what this means, r u talking about a bulb on my digi dash, or another bulb within the charging circuit in genral.

And it shouldnt be the bushes coz the alternaotr is completly brand new

Cherz

nathan.
28-11-04, 12:03 PM
14.7 volts??? too much voltage that.
wants to be around 14.2 volts mate.
a slipping belt can cause problems though, easy enough to adjust.

Aragorn
28-11-04, 03:23 PM
if the bulb on your digidash isnt working then it wont charge unless its at very high revs

when u turn the ignition on the area around the battery symbol should light up and then go off once u start the engine

az_e11
29-11-04, 10:06 PM
if the bulb on your digidash isnt working then it wont charge unless its at very high revs

when u turn the ignition on the area around the battery symbol should light up and then go off once u start the engine

If this is the case, then i think i might have a problem, because basically when i turn my ignition on, my digi dash lights up, and it starts doing its check sequence.
Then when it gives me my my actual readings after the check sequence, the area around the battery symbol does not light up.
All i get is a 12v reading on the battery guage.

Then when i come to start my car, the battery reading on my digi dash suddenly goes down to 4v , and area around the battery symbol lights up for a second, until car is started.
Once my car is running the battery voltage goes back to 12v, and stays there.

If i then properly rev up my car, i can get the voltage to get up to around 14v, on my dash, this makes everything much more brighter.

Does this mean i av wired my digi dash up a bit wrong, coz i av just remebered that there were loads of black wires on the back of the dash and I left 1 off, as the guide didint really tell me which black 1 to exactly leave off.

Maybe i should connect the black wire i left off,to the rest of the black wires
the reason i left it off, is coz when it is connected to other blacks, my handbrake teltale didint work.
And the guide said to leave 1 black off, but didnt say which one, and plus i couldnt tell the difference between them, coz they r all black???

:(

robb
30-11-04, 08:37 AM
I would connect it back up....

Who needs a handbrake telltale, you know if the handbrake is up!

Will F
30-11-04, 09:35 AM
Alt is fecked. It will be either the rotor or the stator, get it off and get it tested if you dont believe me! :lol:

Aragorn
30-11-04, 12:49 PM
sounds like u dont have the dash wired properly

a blown dash bulb will cause the diode pack not to excite properly at low revs which is why its only working when u bring the revs up high

the area around battery should be on with ignition only

if its not on then its not wired right - the reason it flashes on starting is the digidash has a circuit built into it that will flash taht bulb if the voltage drops below 12v, this is totally independant of the alternator being connected

pop the dash out and make sure the blue white wire from the car is connected to the blue white on the dash, if it is then make sure its also connected at the alternator end

if theres somthing up with the alternator regulator pack then the light may not come on even if its wired correctly - in this case try removing the wire from the alternator and grounding it, see if the light comes on then, if so the alternator is gubbed

oh and that spare black wire is the trailer light feed, if u follow the pin u should see it goto the trailer telltale at the bottom of the dash

az_e11
30-11-04, 09:38 PM
sounds like u dont have the dash wired properly

a blown dash bulb will cause the diode pack not to excite properly at low revs which is why its only working when u bring the revs up high

the area around battery should be on with ignition only

if its not on then its not wired right - the reason it flashes on starting is the digidash has a circuit built into it that will flash taht bulb if the voltage drops below 12v, this is totally independant of the alternator being connected

pop the dash out and make sure the blue white wire from the car is connected to the blue white on the dash, if it is then make sure its also connected at the alternator end

if theres somthing up with the alternator regulator pack then the light may not come on even if its wired correctly - in this case try removing the wire from the alternator and grounding it, see if the light comes on then, if so the alternator is gubbed

oh and that spare black wire is the trailer light feed, if u follow the pin u should see it goto the trailer telltale at the bottom of the dash

ok, I will be checking out my digi dash connections this week, and make sure the blue/White and all others are connected right, and also check the blue/White on the alternator.

Also another quick question, you know the wires from my car loom goin to my alternator, these wires are all connected the red, the white/blue and also the ground/Earth on bracket.

How ever I have also got a black/yellow wire which is not connected, as i am unsure where this is supposed to go, could this be a problem.
Aragorn do you know what this one is for, and where am i supposed to connect it, on my alternator.

My alt connection at the moment, is chunky red wire goin to chunky red post, earth/Ground wire on alternator bracket, and blue/white wire goin to a spade terminal marked D+.
Is this right!

Cherz

Nick
30-11-04, 10:33 PM
aragorn : i'd agree with you on that.

mine was doing the same... untill i reconnected it all when i put the dash in properly. Was just mashed in untill i could be arsed to neaten it all up.

a new alternator belt is about ?3 lol.. just get a new one if you think the belt is the problem as well