PDA

View Full Version : advise please on twin 40's

nathan.
25-11-04, 07:15 PM
my twin 40's arrived today. just want a bit of advise please.

is a fuel regulator needed when running carbs off a standard mechanical pump?

Im thinking of getting filter socks. would these be ok?

What size trummpets are required? they have quite shallow ones on at moment, unsure of size.

Cheers guys

DrivingSpanner
25-11-04, 07:47 PM
ok first thing first yes you should always use a regulator, not sure if the machanic pump will be up2 the job tho! Filter socks are perfect for the job and pritty cheap, as for the trumpets look down the list as we covered in quite a bita detail but from memory about 30 - 50 mm is sensable for road use its not very critical.

nathan.
25-11-04, 08:49 PM
i understand that webers require 3.5 psi max.

how do filter socks fit? lol
do they just basicaly slide over the trumpets and then need a cable tie round them just for security

MechaT
25-11-04, 08:51 PM
Only one thing to add: The mechanical pump is perfectly up to the job but definitely use a regulator (As DrivingSpanner said) to bring the fuel pressure down. 3 psi for Dellortos, 3.5 psi for Webers.

nathan.
25-11-04, 08:55 PM
yeah ill definately get a regulator. cheap enough anyway!

i think my trumpets are either 20 or 30mm deep

has anybody got a diagram of where all the adjuster screws are on 40's.

mine have 30mm chokes i think. are these ok?

DrivingSpanner
26-11-04, 08:50 AM
i understand that webers require 3.5 psi max.

how do filter socks fit? lol
do they just basicaly slide over the trumpets and then need a cable tie round them just for security

yes, yes and yes
the socks slip over the trumpets and cable tie to slop them coming off.
to be honest any size trumpets will be ok for road use and as for the screws your best bet is to buy the haynes weber carb book, it actually tells you how to do thing and how they work, unlike most of the other haynes books!!!

nathan.
26-11-04, 10:11 AM
yeah im gonna get a weber book.
thanks for the help mate

DrivingSpanner
26-11-04, 01:29 PM
not a problem fella we're here to help

matt

Mike
27-11-04, 12:24 PM
thread started just at the rite time!! my webers should be here soon! ?200 for T40's on a 1300 sport manifold with linkage kit!! :lol:

the wonderful world of ebay :wink:

a11ova
27-11-04, 01:57 PM
thread started just at the rite time!! my webers should be here soon! ?200 for T40's on a 1300 sport manifold with linkage kit!! :lol:

the wonderful world of ebay :wink:

jammy sandwich!!!!

Mike
27-11-04, 02:07 PM
that aint all mate!! read the thread i started on General, "bargin basement pocket rocket"

that'll make u really jealous :lol: :lol: :lol:

dunova
27-11-04, 07:38 PM
my webers should be here soon! ?200 for T40's on a 1300 sport manifold with linkage kit!!

Got exactly the same for ?98 :lol:
Don't need the manifold though so if anyone want's to make me an offer......

Now my question, do you need to use trumpets with k&n filters? Is there any difference in performance or sound or anything?

And nathan1600 i take it they're going on a 1600? :lol:
If so, then 30mm chokes aren't ideal-you want 32mm chokes or if you plan on BIG power (i.e 140ish bhp or more) then you should get 34mm.

Dan
28-11-04, 10:31 AM
Trumpet size makes no real difference imho, 16mm jobs are fine and for filtering you can get a proper filter to fit the nova that works with that size so all four inlets share one singular face of foam to draw through rather than each and every inlet having been totally surrounded by using a sock.

chokes will depend on what the cars state of tune is and what part of the power scale it is more for. MC used to run 30mm chokes at one stage and had a very fast 1.6 8v so dont always believe the hype.

Another tip for advice, setting the carbs upto to take X amount of psi is fine for a ballpark guide to get it running. Again things can be different tho, the dellorto/weber rule is something of nothing as they both require the same. I run 2.9-3 psi on webers, and my old dellortos ran 3.5 lol.

nathan.
28-11-04, 12:11 PM
cheers dan. got a regulator now, bargain of ebay lol.

good point about the filters. yeah it makes sense to use one filter so the flow is the same through the carbs.

any ideas where to get a filter cheap enough, im on a budget.lol

Mike
29-11-04, 12:38 PM
so, what other bits will i need to RUN my weber's??

fuel pressure regulator, uprated fuel pump etc?? :|

or can i just bolt em on and they work/increase bhp?? never had weber's b4 so dnt no what im letting meself in for :?

nathan.
29-11-04, 08:16 PM
so, what other bits will i need to RUN my weber's??

fuel pressure regulator, uprated fuel pump etc?? :|

or can i just bolt em on and they work/increase bhp?? never had weber's b4 so dnt no what im letting meself in for :?

heres my list:

twin 40's
twin linkage
manifold
filters
regulator
mounting plates/o rings
throttle cables
alternator lowering bracket
new v belt
inlet manifold gasket

i believe you need a cam and slight head work for them to work at there full best.

i have a 300 deg cam but no head work

im struggling to find a manifold for my 16sv, does anyone know if a 14nz manifold fits or even a gte/gsi.

Aragorn
30-11-04, 02:58 PM
i wouldnt waste your time with an sv head

take the head off and fit a GTE or GSi head then use a manifold for the GTE/GSi instead

the sv head has really sahite ports and smaller valves than the se head from gte

the bottom ends are identical however so u wont have any problems other than that

nathan.
30-11-04, 07:05 PM
thought about using a gte head. will my piper cam fit this head?

nathan.
30-11-04, 07:50 PM
just found this. these are the difference between 16sv and gte head inlet ports. click link

http://www.jonathanhowlett.supanet.com/1600Eng/1600Eng%20030.jpg

the sv is the top one, is this the same as 1.4sr

benji
30-11-04, 08:41 PM
the top is the same as a 1.4sr, the bottom is 1.2/1.3 not gte/gsi they are round, same as 1.4sri

benji
30-11-04, 08:42 PM
the cam will fit the gte head. are you coming to donington on the 12th?

nathan.
30-11-04, 08:47 PM
yeah might do mate. just to watch though. might have a go at a trackday next year some time. what time do you get there and start etc?

benji
30-11-04, 08:52 PM
first session ia at 9.00, but i will be there earlier for briefing and signing on,

Nick
30-11-04, 10:27 PM
you would need an electronic fuel pump... which you should have allready !

it sounds like you have everything.

ditch the sv head and stick the Se one on.

ring demon tweeks and they should beable to sort you out with an inlet Manifold to match the Webbers to the gsi/gte head.

A cam will help get the best performance out of the webbers, but some mild headwork as well will help you achieve quite reasonable gains.you neadn't go mad.

Mike
01-12-04, 08:01 PM
rite, weber's arrived today.
there on the original irmischer inlet manifold so will i need the alternarotr lowering bracket??

i dont need to buy the trumpets cuz there already on there. :D

WHY will i have to buy an uprated fuel pump when the nova sport my weber's are off had the standard one just like the other 501 of them??

Snowface
01-12-04, 10:43 PM
do not get an electric/uprated fuel pump!

the mechanical one u got is fine.

what u do need is a regulator though as the meh pump is twice the pressure it should be!

rednova
02-12-04, 12:01 AM
if hes using a GTE head wont he need an electrical fuel pump as the hole for the mechanical pump is blanked off?

im having the same problem

phil

Snowface
02-12-04, 10:49 AM
sorry, i'm replying in relation to Last of the Nova SR's.

Mike
02-12-04, 12:52 PM
rite, okay.

cant i modify an FSE boost valve to "up" the feul pressure? if not where do i get a regulayor from/how much?? :?

the irmischer inlet manifold i have has an inlet for sum kind of pipe/hose?? its at the bottom rite hand side of the inlet (looking asif carbs already on car) WTF do i connect to it? :|

Snowface
02-12-04, 01:13 PM
brake assistance servo vacuum thingy?

nathan.
02-12-04, 06:46 PM
rite, okay.

cant i modify an FSE boost valve to "up" the feul pressure? if not where do i get a regulayor from/how much?? :?

the irmischer inlet manifold i have has an inlet for sum kind of pipe/hose?? its at the bottom rite hand side of the inlet (looking asif carbs already on car) WTF do i connect to it? :|

you need to reduce fuel pressure not "up" it. buy a regulator! only about ?25 from burton power. mine was ?15 off ebay, brand new.

Mike
03-12-04, 12:44 PM
:idea: lower fuel pressure, rite ddnt no that bit!! :)

has anyone got the phone number/website for burton power?? :|

will i need an alternator bracket as ive got the original irmscher inlet manifold??

is there any difference in power btween the irmscher inlet and/or aftermarket inlet?? (just curious)

nathan.
03-12-04, 07:54 PM
www.burtonpower.com

for regulator and accessories

demon tweeks direct ( very helpful ) 01978 664466 for alternator bracket.

dont think there will be any difference between irmsher and other after market inlets.

whitty_nova_1300sr
07-12-04, 02:40 AM
its fine talking about pumps, reg etc, wot chokes you going 2 run, jets etc etc. once you have fully set up its worth it.

http://www.novasport.info <==-- this web-site has some good tips on it (just a word of warning its very very slow)

Mike
10-12-04, 12:57 PM
will be running standard "sport" injectors and inlet manifold.

as for the choke, well, never really fort about it? :|

Snowface
10-12-04, 03:53 PM
sorry, but what are injectors (sport or otherwise) doing in a carburettor lol?

do you mean Venturi?

Mike
11-12-04, 06:09 PM
do you mean Venturi?

yeah, thats the one! sorry only got me weber book this mornin, not read it properly yet! :|