PDA

View Full Version : A BREAK PROBLEM PLEASE HELP!!!!

B4 CON
24-11-04, 11:28 PM
hi i was wondering if someone could help me. i dont know much about cars yet. ive done my nova right up. buy when i top up the break fluid. its empty a few days later. i got 2 daughters which i cannot put in my car til this problem is delt with. has anyone had a problem like this? if so please help.

regards neil

sTuDeNt
25-11-04, 12:09 AM
Check for the leaks int he brake system, especially around callipers in the front or drums at the back. Most likely it is your front flexy hose is gone. But i might be wrong... Just give it a good inspection.

Phil_G
25-11-04, 12:21 AM
hi

probably rear slave cylinders - stick your head under the car and see if the back of the brake drums are damp or better still take a drum off and inspect the drum for contamination. If that is evident, then it is more than highly advisable to replace the rear shoes at same time

I dont think it would be flexi hoses failing for the simple reason that the car would appear (from the fact you havent said other wise) to still stop. If your hoses had failed they would not stop at all

Phil

robb
25-11-04, 10:20 AM
If there is a leak on the front it will leave marks on the wheels, I had a leaky brass washer thing. Just wrenched it up.

Rear cylinders are a pain to get off if seized, if you do have to replace them spray loads of releasing stuff, like penetrating fluid, all over the bolt and pipe nut.

P.S. the fluid strips paint

Chris
25-11-04, 11:12 AM
I will go with Phil_G on this one. I wouldnt have thought it would be the fronts as the car braking effort would be low, and if they were that bad it should be picked up on an MOT.

Chris

B4 CON
25-11-04, 05:52 PM
when i re'fill with fluid and pump the brakes for a whiel their ok. but then like i said. a few days later its empty and your foot goes straight to the floor.

DrivingSpanner
25-11-04, 06:56 PM
dont drive the chuffing thing like that for gods sake, YOU WILL end up with no brakes at all and crash...

Sorry to be mr doom and gloom, but i used to see this sorta thing and it scares the pooh outa me that ppl drive cars when they are like that!!!

Donova
25-11-04, 08:40 PM
Don,t drive it mate till you,ve got it sorted, most likely to be rear cylinders as has been said. :!: