PDA

View Full Version : Radiator smoking

dunova
24-11-04, 08:35 AM
My radiator was smoking like a chimney this morning-not sure if it's just because it was cold and my engine was hot, but the engine itself wasn't smoking. It was the right hand side of the radiator (nearest the dizzy) and i thought it might be a leaking hose or something? Any ideas?

DrivingSpanner
24-11-04, 09:09 AM
ummm an odd one, i would have only thought that its leaking if the water level in the header tank has gone down, otherwise i would suspoect that something has been sprayed onto the rad at some point and it is just burnng off. ie some1 in-front of you splasher thru a big puddle and moisure was left in the fins of the radiator and now its evaporating once then rad has heated up

Will F
24-11-04, 09:38 AM
At worst it will be a leak mate, I wouldnt worry. Just keep an eye on water levels.

dunova
24-11-04, 10:43 AM
Yeah had a look at the water when i stopped and it was almost empty-then let the pressure off and it came up to almost half way. I'm not sure if that's because its leaking or if i haven't checked it in a while :idea:

I'll keep an eye on it, it looked pretty cool at the traffic lights with steam pooring out my bonnet :lol:

dan-hipgrave
24-11-04, 05:48 PM
had the same thing myself this morning - stopped at the lights and steam poured from under my bonnet :lol: gonna have to check the levels and tightem the hoses i think..

dunova
24-11-04, 06:55 PM
My radiator has bit the dust :cry:
Got home from uni (just), radiator had been smoking at the lights on the way home, popped the bonnet at home and had no water in the header tank. I'm hoping i haven't done any damage (although i have got my skimmed+ported head ready to go on).
I filled it up with water, started the engine and the water pretty much pished out! Checked all the hoses and they're dry, got it on the ramps and can see its the radiator.
Is it worth trying rad weld? I left the engine to get cold and filled it up and started it again, and it came out as a quick drip.

I suppose rad weld is a temporary solution-i got a price from partco for a new radiator+they quoted me ?37 :o Thought it'd be more than that.
Is it abit of a bastard fitting a new radiator? There's not a lot of room there (as fooking usual :roll: )

Ste_Nova
24-11-04, 08:31 PM
you want a valeo rad.... nothing else will do

dunova
24-11-04, 08:52 PM
Valeo rad? Why and how much? Are they any better?

Donova
25-11-04, 08:50 PM
try soldering it, i,ve done it with a few cars and its lasted years 8)

nam
25-11-04, 08:55 PM
i just put body filler in mine lol, it worked as well.

Philsutton
25-11-04, 09:00 PM
try soldering it, i,ve done it with a few cars and its lasted years
thats almost as bad as my mate welding his cylinders back together on his mini after he cracked the block. An he drove it round for months after he did that :lol:

a11ova
26-11-04, 01:11 AM
Rad weld!! wont last long tho 8)

scott.parker
26-11-04, 10:10 AM
Rad weld!! wont last long tho 8)

I had a leak from a pipe join to the head on my old fiesta,used rad welld,never leaked again,try it mate you never know.

scott

dunova
26-11-04, 07:34 PM
Too late i'm afraid, new radiator fitted today-only cost me ?37 new from partco :D

Not long ago a mate of mine used rad weld and it lasted all of 3 days :lol: :roll: