PDA

View Full Version : oil cooler

benji
23-11-04, 06:32 PM
i'm buying a cheap oil cooler off ebay, and getting some hoses made up. where can i get a take off plate? i phoned demon tweeks and they want ?40 for one with a thermostat, where can i get one cheaper?

cheers

ben

Ste_Nova
23-11-04, 06:48 PM
off a 20xe

whitty_nova_1300sr
23-11-04, 07:00 PM
this is going 2 sound dum but wot is the adv of having the oil cooled on a non-turbo???

how would you link it in??

many thanx

benji
23-11-04, 07:01 PM
that will fit a 1400? does any on have one forsale?

-Bruce-
23-11-04, 09:00 PM
yeh the oil take off plate off the 20xe will fit i think!!

ask ben he will prob have one!!

bruce

Stuart
23-11-04, 09:02 PM
cooling the oil in any application (if the oil gets hot enough to warrant it in the first place) is a good idea as it keeps the oil at its operating temp as opposed to hotter and therefore less efficient.

benji, as far as im away most gm oil filters are the same size and thread so the 20XE plate should fit

benji
24-11-04, 01:19 AM
thats good then, saves me ?40 does the xe take off plate have a stat built in? or will i have to get one?

whitty_nova_1300sr, as stu said i need one because when on a track my oil temp goes sky high, it get's plumed in via a sandwich plate between the block and oil filter

whitty_nova_1300sr
24-11-04, 01:47 AM
o right.

can you get kits if so where from

many thanx

whitty

benji
24-11-04, 07:46 AM
demon tweeks, the kit is around ?60 and the cooler is about the same

Stuart
24-11-04, 11:20 AM
to justify having one you need to be getting the oil above 100 degreees on a regular basis. its not a mod just for "looks"

strangely though CP hasnt got an oil cooler, and afaik chris T dosent have one either lol

Ben
24-11-04, 02:23 PM
Yer i got some but dont know what they are LMFAO some one give me a pic and i will get one off for Benji.

nova_rally
24-11-04, 08:28 PM
You can get an inline oilstat brand new from Mocal for ?21. I've got a brand new unused one you can have for ?15 if you want it, I'm running my cooler without a stat.

benji
24-11-04, 09:51 PM
don't you do any motorway driving?

cold oil is as bad as as too hot oil

nova_rally
25-11-04, 07:40 PM
Rally Car, North Wales. No motorways, no long smooth driving periods. Oil gets ridiculously hot.

DrivingSpanner
25-11-04, 07:53 PM
my old 1L used to cook the oil on a long motorway run (2+ hours everyday) and prob wouldnt have run a bearing if i had an oil cooler, but then it was only a 1L reving its knuts off with a 4spd box doing 90mph mosta the time!!! naughty boy i am...

nova---chris
26-11-04, 04:21 AM
Agree with Stu on this one. Ive never ran a oil cooler on my engine.
Unless things are extreme theres no need for one i dont think.

Only times id think about needing one is running on seriously hot days at tracks and waiting to get on the strip at pod.

:lol: 8)

scott.parker
26-11-04, 10:16 AM
Yep never transpalnted the oil cooler off the astra on to my nova when the conversion was done,karl said you wont need it,he dosent run one nore do most ppl with 2ltr novas.

scott

a11ova
26-11-04, 10:20 AM
oil coolers are more for turbo boys unless you do a lot of track days! 8)

scott.parker
26-11-04, 10:26 AM
Most of the people i know run there nova's on track days mate and they dont have a oil cooler,i used mine down silverstone,didnt see any rise in tepreture on the oil front,and im going to use it manly for the track,so i guees if i do notice any diffrance then i might look into sorting one out.

But till then im not inteding on putting one on.

scott

Dar
26-11-04, 07:08 PM
I have one on mine. Its on a thermostat so the oil dosen't go around the cooler until it needs to. I find that when driving the car on the road the oil doesn't circulate around the cooler (maybe a bit) so its not really needed.

But on the track when your bealting the guts out of the thing for 15mins the oil definately goes around the cooler so therefore its needed. However my car isn't standard. Its not really that modifyed either. But it is running 50bhp more than standard.

I guess that if the engine is standard and your not going to be putting it on the track then and oil cooler is over kill (if not fitted as standard).

But if your engine is modifyed and your going to do trackdays then it definately something to keep an eye on just in-case you do need to fit one.

DrivingSpanner
26-11-04, 07:14 PM
if it spend most (or a lot) of its life reving high (or pulling a big load) the oil temp will go up, in which case the cooler would be usefull, do you have a bypass system on your cooler then?

Dar
26-11-04, 07:29 PM
Mines just on a thermostat so the oil dosn't run around the cooler until its hot enough. Works exactly the same way as a thermostat in the water cooling system. Plus it spends most of its life above 7000 rpm. The main reason I fitted mine at the start was because the standard XE come's with a oil cooler and mine gets abused, plus its running more bhp than standard.

DrivingSpanner
26-11-04, 07:40 PM
yep very sensable mr

benji
26-11-04, 08:09 PM
the first track day i did at donigton i had no prob's, but then i fitted a piper cam, and the extra stress on the lifters coupled with the hot oil caused some funny noises untill it had cooled a bit, so i deffinaly need a cooler

a11ova
26-11-04, 08:10 PM
at what temp does the thermostat open??

benji
26-11-04, 08:19 PM
dunno yet, i think you can get different stat's

DrivingSpanner
26-11-04, 08:23 PM
im glad some1 is listening to me at last about oil coolers being the future, if trackdaying or reving a lot

a11ova
26-11-04, 08:40 PM
dunno yet, i think you can get different stat's

sweet

nova_rally
27-11-04, 06:33 PM
Dunno about the XE standard stat but Mocal stats are supplied as standard at 80degrees. You can have custom ones though.

When you're revving the tits off an engine which has got the water hot enough to set the fan off, then you should definitely be thinking of cooling the oil as well!

GT-Dub
27-11-04, 07:12 PM
Its all a load of Bollocks...

YOU DONT NEED OIL... FULL STOP :lol: