PDA

View Full Version : Kent cams

Voodoo
22-11-04, 01:10 PM
I've been having a look at the kent camshafts website, trying to choose a cam for an e16se engine. The engine will be standard apart from said cam, exhaust manifold and system and kn in box filter (maybe later on a modded head). I've narrowed it down to theses cams: nvo51, 52, 61 and 62. Could someone in the knowledge have a look at the specs and tell me which is best? Are the given bhp figures realistic (8-10-12 bhp)?
Is it worth buying the kit, or can I just buy the cam and new vaux followers and save a few quid?

Cheers!

Philsutton
22-11-04, 01:15 PM
you can just get the cam itself but if your going to do it you might as well replace everything at the same time. Saying that i only changed the cams in mine and my brothers an we havent had any problems. I cant quite remember which cam my brothers ahve in their GTE engined corsa but they said the cam made a noticable change in power.

a11ova
22-11-04, 01:23 PM
go for the full kit as a piece of mind! the old followers might end up wearing your new cam!

:twisted: :twisted:

Voodoo
22-11-04, 01:34 PM
a11ova: I was thinking of getting new vaux followers, because I supposed it would be cheaper than the Kent kit. By the way, what's included in the kit?

Stuart
22-11-04, 01:42 PM
kit "should have" followers, new hydraulic lifters, cam lube, sticker, timing protractor and setup instructions

apparently GM followers are better quality than the Kent counterparts, but hey. youd be looking at ?60+vat for GM followers BTW.

a11ova
22-11-04, 01:42 PM
cams, valve springs, oil valve stem seals, followers, cam lube and timing disc. Invest in some verniers aswell to finely tune the timing.

:twisted: :twisted:

Stuart
22-11-04, 02:07 PM
not all kits come with valve springs

and ive never seen a cam kit come with stem oil seals

and you only need one vernier for a GM 8V engine lol :p

and most peeps who have them are more or less set to standard timing marks anyway. so you can just file out the locating notch in the std pulley and bolt it up nice and tight when set right.

Voodoo
22-11-04, 02:27 PM
Hmmm... acordingly to the rally design catalogue, there's a 112 pound difference between the cam and the kit... think I'll go just for the cam and gm lifters...

So, how about cam choice/specs, any advice?

Stuart
22-11-04, 02:45 PM
if you pick one of the last 3 cams and your running std intake system then your gonna have one rough running car as they are inteneded for a bit of a modded intake system and possibly aftermarket ECU.

maybe the nvo52 will be okish and give you a nice bit of go at top end. but only if you have complementry mods like 4 branch manifold etc

DrivingSpanner
22-11-04, 05:42 PM
if you pick one of the last 3 cams and your running std intake system then your gonna have one rough running car as they are inteneded for a bit of a modded intake system and possibly aftermarket ECU.

That'll be because of the plenium chamber, 'wild' cams hate plenium chambers!!!!

Stuart
22-11-04, 05:46 PM
im guessing he wouldnt know about that crap so i jsut put it simply :p

DrivingSpanner
22-11-04, 05:54 PM
aiiii.... silly me i'm always getting carried away with techy stuff thinking every1 is at my level OR HIGHER, what a wally i am!!!

Voodoo
22-11-04, 10:15 PM
LOL at you guys, I'm not that mechanically stupid! :lol: You guys are on about the pulse effect, right? I guessed as the nvo62 is called a "sports injection" cam, it would be ok.
Cambridge: yes, the cam will be complemented with a 4 branch and system, kn panel filter and the Bill Blydenstein stage 1 airbox mod (anyone know if this "actually" does anything?), and later on a modded head, so I was thinking of buying a cam that would run ok for now, and good enough for a modded head later.
Also, could give me a lesson in camshafts and explain what this means:
nvo52 - rpm - 1500/5500; cam lift - 6,79; valve lift - 11,37; duration - 262; timing figure - 25/57 57/25; valve timing - 106

Cheers!

Stuart
22-11-04, 10:23 PM
hmmmmm with that all in mind id go for the head work etc before the cam and then just finishe it all off with a good ole cam.

or jsut save up and do it all at once as opposed to building the engine up bit at a time.

and yes its the pulse effect

Voodoo
24-11-04, 12:59 AM
Can't really afford a head right now, and the engine has to be ready in January, sadly to replace my valver due to some new laws coming out in my freakin country! :evil:
But as my original cam is looking a bit worn, might as well fit a good one right away.
so, I guess I'll chance the nvo52 then.

Cheers!

Gunzi
24-11-04, 04:04 PM
[quote="Voodoo"]kn panel filter and the Bill Blydenstein stage 1 airbox mod (anyone know if this "actually" does anything?),

[quote]

I read in total vauxhall on a std GTE it made 12bhp difference @ flywheel, (they had a rr) more than any other panel or induction kit, can't remember the issue off hand.
So yeah it made a difference on that car
gunzi