PDA

View Full Version : oil coming from exhaust

*novadose*
20-11-04, 12:24 AM
theres oil coming out of my exhaust, its a 1.2 flair with 99k on the clock. i thought it could either be a)carb setting up b)head gasket c)piston rings. anyone else think different because your all nova heads. ive brought a head kit but dont wanna fit it until i got some kinda idea if it is the gaskets cos ill have to buy em all again if i need to take the head off again....

James B
20-11-04, 02:07 AM
id say yeah either head gasket, rings or valve stem oil seals

if u got the head set u might aswel fit it considerin mileage

james

*novadose*
20-11-04, 10:13 AM
valve stem oil seals?? is that the ring that comes with the head set? How much are rings and how easy are thye to fit?

DrivingSpanner
20-11-04, 01:31 PM
how do you know that there is oil comming out of the exhaust??? is it like a really runny black stuff??? cos that is just moisture with carbon mixed in, completly normal,
also if its oil does the engine run really rough an then misfire when you put your foot down after its been idling for a couple of mins??? check the plugs and compare them to the back of the haynes manual... if its burning oil then they will be black, slimy and feal oilly when you wipe your finger over it.

Stem seals are the little black(sometimes green) rubber things in the headset should be 8 of them. piston rings are more expensive and if they are gone the chances are the whole engine is pritty F'ed and really you need the engine out to do rings (altho it can be doen in the car)

Glytch
20-11-04, 05:54 PM
Ive seen orange valve stem oil seals in a head set before also.

Like drivingSpaner said though: "Check the plugs"

*novadose*
21-11-04, 01:08 AM
Ill check em tommorrow then and tell you what its like. its like watery black shit! its not smoking loads but it does appear to smoke a lil bit more than average, unsure wether its cos its old/cold (sitting outside til i pass my test) n carbed though. cheers for the advice anyways, appreciated.

dathers
21-11-04, 04:30 AM
Do a compression test ,that will give you more of an idea.
But to be honest if you can see/feel oil inside the tail pipe this is 'far' too much oil to be valve stem oil seals and is more likely to be worn rings and bores.
Just put a bigger engine in and have done with it,IMO its a waste of money repairing a 1.2...lol.
Dave

*novadose*
21-11-04, 12:43 PM
Insurance!! I wanna keep the 1.2, it runs ok just watery crap comes from the exhaust, ill replace the gaskets, have an oil change and get the carb set up. If that doesnt solve it ill try and source a 1.3 SR engine....

cheers