PDA

View Full Version : engine swap

probert_nova
20-11-04, 12:07 AM
iv'e gotta put a smaller engine in my new gsi . i was wondering if the insurance company would be bothered if the car used to be a gsi or would they charge extra?

cheers

Matt Nova
20-11-04, 06:36 PM
why have you gotta put a smaller engine in your gsi?

insurance may be bothered as to thiefs it will still look like a GSi and more likely to get pinched

depends on company me thinks :D

probert_nova
20-11-04, 07:45 PM
coz im only 17. i bought the car coz its totally modified (not the one on my profile). i'd only insure the car 3rd party f&t, and the insurance company im going with told me not to declare the mods to them.

its just me old man thinking i won't be able insure coz it use to be a gsi.

NovaNickHead
10-01-05, 10:48 AM
i treid to get quotes on GTE with 1.2 engine in it when i was 17 and they all said no would be same as gte if not more coz its been converted :?

Jack
10-01-05, 01:30 PM
Does depend very much on the base car - hence why a lot of people use 1ltrs as project cars! Most insurance companies would insure it as a GTE with modifications. The only way round it *maybe* would be to drop the 1.2 in, change the details with the DVLA and then the car is a fully fledged 1.2?

Will
10-01-05, 01:46 PM
Does depend very much on the base car - hence why a lot of people use 1ltrs as project cars! Most insurance companies would insure it as a GTE with modifications. The only way round it *maybe* would be to drop the 1.2 in, change the details with the DVLA and then the car is a fully fledged 1.2?

good idea but the original reg will still show on an insurance DB as a GSI

swap all ur bits to another shell mate much easier :P

NovaNickHead
10-01-05, 02:19 PM
also its a GTE/GSI for reasons other than just the engine, thats why the insurance is higher more bits to replace and more comforts etc than a 1.2

Philsutton
10-01-05, 02:26 PM
good idea but the original reg will still show on an insurance DB as a GSI

swap all ur bits to another shell mate much easier
mine comes up with GSI on mine an its a 5 door...?

Will
10-01-05, 02:45 PM
cut and shut?

lmfao

Philsutton
10-01-05, 03:05 PM
fuck knows, insurance companies dont know what they are doing anyway

Jack
10-01-05, 03:06 PM
Insurance Databases aren't always 100% accurate (did a quote once for a 1994 Celica ST205 GT4, it came up as a Carlos Sainz model.... which is an ST185, i.e. 1991 model year lol).

Best option though is probably to pick up a cheap 1.2 and put all your GSi stuff on it if you really want the GSi bits rather than do the engine swap.