PDA

View Full Version : Battery charge problems!, 1.2 Nova MK1

az_e11
19-11-04, 06:06 PM
I have got a weird problem, have recently put in a brand new alternator, and also fitted in my digi dash, just need to know what battery reading i am supposed to get on my digi dash when engine is running.

when i have started my car and taken it for a drive, the battery level will stay at 12v, but when i am parked stationery and rev it up, it will go above 12v, and every thing seems a little brighter.

But i have manged to get it above 12v when driving, but i av to proper rag my car, is this right., or is my battery crap, coz the alternator is workin.

Or is the battery gauge on digi dash makin me paranoid.

Please help!!!

:(

Chris
20-11-04, 06:31 AM
The regulated voltage should be 14.25-14.75volts. I would check that your earths are all ok, and check the condition of your battery. If these are both fine then you have a dodgyy altenator.

Chris

az_e11
20-11-04, 03:12 PM
The battery i am using is new,
how ever my old alternator did completly drain it a few times, but since then i have replaced my alternaotr and recharged my battery it using a battery charger.
Is it possible that the battery got slighly damaged when it was completly dead, a few times.

epo
20-11-04, 04:13 PM
check that there is water in the battery if you can

az_e11
20-11-04, 04:17 PM
yep checked that, there is water in there

Chris
20-11-04, 04:53 PM
. I would check that your earths are all ok,
Chris

Glytch
20-11-04, 05:51 PM
A battery will die if its run absolutly flat every time, try puttin a bigger earth to the battery from the bulkhead, if that doesnt work try an earth straight from the alternator bracket to the bulkhead.

I'd try the battery first though.

Aragorn
21-11-04, 11:51 AM
ensure the battery charge light wire is connected cause the diode packs wont excite properly if that line isnt there

also make sure the earth strap between the alternator and block is intact and in good order - an easy way to tell is i get a decent jump lead and connect it between negative on the battery and the alternator casing - if the battery guage jumps to 14v on connecting this lead there is defo a dodgy earth strap somewhere (more than likely alternator to block since u'd have starting troubles if it was any others)

az_e11
22-11-04, 09:32 PM
I have just checked my fan belt, and noticed that it does seem pretty tight, how ever i can still get the belt too slip on the metal fan bit with my hand, and this is the tighest the belt will go, its like the belt has been stretched.

Could this be the cause to all my problems, is this why i am not getting a proper charge., because the alternator not spinning fast enough.

Do u think i can solve this by replacing the fan belt with a new 1, coz every thing else seems , fine ive got a good earth .

az_e11
23-11-04, 08:35 PM
Any ideas???

:o