PDA

View Full Version : Supercharged Nova 1.4 SR

Elthrin
18-11-04, 03:10 PM
Has anyone actually done this?

I am considering doing this to my nova as a prototype for the doing the same on my girlfiends MK3 Astra 2.0 16v GSi.

I am going to be using an Eaton M45 charger and I figure fitting it to the nova will be a lot easier than the astra as there is a lot more room under the bonnet.

Still currently trying to get hold of a boost bypass valve.

Not quite sure where I am going to mount the charger yet, I was thinking that I really wanted to leave the carb where it is and modify the inlet manifold to divert too and from the charger.

Anyone got any thoughs?

Ben
18-11-04, 03:12 PM
I would imagine that there would be a lot more room in the Astra's engine bay with a standard engine in there.

Try places like Demon Tweeks for the valve.

Dpnova
18-11-04, 03:15 PM
a bloke on mig has done it to a c20xe you could try looking there

Elthrin
18-11-04, 03:16 PM
No there is sod all room in the astras engine bay.
http://www.bigboxlittlebox.com/Laurens/My%20engine%20bay%20small.jpg

Will try Demon tweeks.

Was hopeing to find a mini cooper S in a scrap yard that I could nick one off.
[/url]

Ben
18-11-04, 03:18 PM
When fitting the charger you will get rid of the ridiculos power stopping powercap. That will give you loads of room.

Elthrin
18-11-04, 03:18 PM
Yer I think I have spoken to him.
Astra 16v sc

I think his user name is, he has a really good web site as well.

www.tsr.nu

But I was wondering if there was someone in this country that had done it.

Elthrin
18-11-04, 03:24 PM
So you are one of the anti Power cap crew.

Personally I did not notice any difference moving from the SFI to power cap.

The good thing about it is that you can get to the throttle body and surrounding pipes alot easier than when the bulky SFI resonator box was fitted.

Ben
18-11-04, 03:31 PM
It has been proved over and over again on the RR that a powercap reduces tourqe and restricts flow.

I bought a 2.0l 16v with one on and removed it within a week and bolted the SFi back on.

Elthrin
18-11-04, 03:36 PM
Reduces tourqe I could understand but I can not see that it can restrict air flow in any way.

I would have thought that if anything it could possibly increase air flow too much. Causing problems similar to running an engine without an air filter.

Elthrin
18-11-04, 03:39 PM
I thought the idea was to move the power up the rev range slightly??

Therefore you maximum torque would be slightly lower.

Not an expert on the subject to be honest but I thought that was the idea.

a11ova
18-11-04, 03:44 PM
another scam!!!! My mate had one on his valver nova and put the sfi box back on too! he said the exact same thing, it pulled a lot harder with the sfi box on

:twisted: :twisted:

Philsutton
18-11-04, 03:48 PM
i had a power cap on for about a week, it ran really sh*t without the sfi box i thought

Ben
18-11-04, 03:49 PM
i had a power cap on for about a week, it ran really sh*t without the sfi box i thought

LMAO do Just Nova's know your saying that, every single car on there stand at PV had one fitted.

Elthrin
18-11-04, 03:50 PM
Strange.

How much difference do you think it makes?

I would not have thought that you would notice a loss of a couple of BHP

Philsutton
18-11-04, 03:51 PM
yeah they know i borrowed it off them to try down at santa pod. I did tell him it wasnt up to much

Ben
18-11-04, 03:53 PM
I think the figures i was quoted on how bad the one i had was are..

-20lbft tourqe
-10-15BHP

a11ova
18-11-04, 04:01 PM
JUST NOVAS!! Oh dear, i heard some bad stuff about them! Never used them for that reason, probably never will either 8)

Elthrin
18-11-04, 04:02 PM
In that case I may get my girlfriend to change it back.

Any idea why they have such a negative effect?

May make a one that is more similar the SFI box.

A loss of 15 BHP seems quite a lot.

Does that mean that you can gain 15 BHP on one of the calibra engines that does not have the SFI box?

15 BHP gain by fitting a plastic box, that would be good.

Ben
18-11-04, 04:02 PM
Nothing wrong with them or any other companies just certain people have had bad experiences with any company in the land.

You never hear people prasing companies just slagging them off.

Philsutton
18-11-04, 04:03 PM
not used them for what reason? We dont make the power caps

a11ova
18-11-04, 04:03 PM
Nothing wrong with them or any other companies just certain people have had bad experiences with any company in the land.

You never hear people prasing companies just slagging them off.

aint that the truth

Ben
18-11-04, 04:04 PM
Does that mean that you can gain 15 BHP on one of the calibra engines that does not have the SFI box?

15 BHP gain by fitting a plastic box, that would be good.

Nope as they are ECOTEC engines.

Ben
18-11-04, 04:05 PM
But if you fit a Mantzel box to a X16 XEL you will get about 15-20BHP increase easily.

a11ova
18-11-04, 04:07 PM
mate had his corsa fixed there, but actually came back worse than when it went in! Not my arguement anyway, stayin clear of that!

rather do the stuff me self anyway, more sense of self achievement

Elthrin
18-11-04, 04:22 PM
Anyway, good or bad seems to depend on peoples experience with them I would guess that this has more to do with the combination of other modifications done on the air intake, what filters people have used and if they are feeding cold air to the filter or not.

Personally Having extended the intact tract and added the viper kit I have not experienced and noticable negative effect.

Back to the super charger question.

Is there anyone in this country that has supercharged a 1.4 nova?????

Ben
18-11-04, 04:24 PM
USe Nitrous a lot cheaper and easier. LOL

Elthrin
18-11-04, 04:27 PM
How is it cheaper? the supercharger has no running costs (well apart from a bit of extra fuel)

And it is on all the time rather than a couple of minutes of squirt.

a11ova
18-11-04, 04:30 PM
chargers have to be serviced every 40,000 miles approx and that aint cheap

Ben
18-11-04, 04:31 PM
You buy a Nitrous Kit for about ?3-500 dependent on size brand etc and then a bottle of gas every now and then rather than the Expense of the charger and the complete rebuild etc...

Elthrin
18-11-04, 04:32 PM
Only every 40000 miles, cool.

Bothered then chuck it in the bin in four years time.

Elthrin
18-11-04, 04:34 PM
So how long does a big bottle bottle last then?

Ben
18-11-04, 04:44 PM
Depends if you want a wet or dry feed.

Elthrin
18-11-04, 05:25 PM
Ok but we are talking minutes rather than three years of use.
I am talking about road use not 14 seconds drag strip use.

Although we were thinking about NOS as well it is hardly a replacment for a turbo or supercharger.

Ben
19-11-04, 08:36 AM
Chip ran a 13.3 with a C20 XE standard with large Nitrous feed. Will's LET ran 13.8.

Enough said.

Elthrin
19-11-04, 10:31 AM
But if Will and Chip (whoever they are) raced round a track for 10 laps then I am guessing that Will would be the winner.

If we are talking drag strip racing then I see your point, but that is not what I want it for.

It is more an exercise to compensate for the weight of the sound system.

Aragorn
19-11-04, 11:02 AM
the point is you dont drive round flat out in normal driving

generally you drive with no more than about 50% throttle most of the time (assuming general town driving, commuting, shopping trips etc)

the advantage with the nos is your not using any more fuel or causing any more engine wear while its not in use, but when u do need it because u decide to give it some then its there as an instant kick

that viper induction kit is also a waste of moolah, was a review in revs or fast car or summat this month i was reading at work and most of the filters including the viper lost power and torque over the std airbox on an otherwise standard engine i think there was 2 or 3 filters out of the 20odd they tested that actually gained power and even then it was in the region of 1bhp on a 130bhp engine - ie seriously not worth three figure sums

Ben
19-11-04, 01:25 PM
As Aragon said really, your better off having it there when you need it and not just popping down the shops.

Chris
24-11-04, 02:52 PM
Also with NOS you dont have to go into software setup as the extra fuel needed is supplied using extra fuel jets. Build your own kit. I priced up a while back and I can build a direct port 2 stage kit for around ?400

Chris

benji
24-11-04, 03:50 PM
what's 'direct port stage 2' mean in english??

Chris
24-11-04, 04:25 PM
Direct port means it goes straight in the the cylinder (i.e not into your air intake). 2 stage means you have 2 stages. Say first stage 25bhp 2nd stage 50bhp equalling to 75overall. Advantages are that on a single shot 75 would be useless in first and second, so a 2 stage kit is used for that reason. But with 2 stage that means 4 injectors into each cylinder, take much more room

Chris

benji
24-11-04, 09:49 PM
so you ned to drill the manifold. and fit the injectors in there.

Chris
24-11-04, 09:53 PM
yep thats right Benji, drill and tap

Nick
24-11-04, 11:34 PM
just some random comment.. but..

my mate bought a K&N57i induction kit for his clio, and after about 4 months of use, we took it off the other day (in an attempt to quieten the car on a roadtrip) and it actually made a pretty big increase in power/torque.

even as a passenger i could feel the car pulling more.

it worked alot better without.