PDA

View Full Version : crappy mk1 dash to loverly mk2 GSI dash....

boredbloke
16-11-04, 05:42 PM
Ahhhh finally after bloody ages of waiting, i finally have my hands on a gsi dash ....its so close i can smell it......

Trouble is I havent a clue wtf i've got to change to fit it,

Do the clocks wire up the same?? obviously the mk2 has a rev counter. but is it just a straight swap? i.e loom plugs in where loom does, lights plug in where lights do etc???

Or is it worth paying someone to do it for me??

dan-hipgrave
16-11-04, 05:51 PM
as well as the dash and all ancilliaries you need the mk2 plugs with about 2 inches of loom attached to each mate, and then you just cut of each mk1 plugs and wire on the mk2 plugs colour for colour..

The instrument cluster will be the same, you will have to wire on a new plug and if you dont have a rev counter wire - a green wire already in your loom, then you will have to run one from your ignition coil - the bottom right connector is for the rev counter..

Dont bother paying someone to do it for you unless you are absoloutely useless with undoing a few bolts and connecting some wires together!!

You will also need the heater cables from a mk2, becuase these are different to the mk1 ones..

MechaT
17-11-04, 12:58 AM
Yeah. Looks scary but it really isn't that hard. Most, but not all, of the wires on the dash are like for like. The heater fan wire are slightly different.
Like Dan said about get heater wires. get the heater matrix bottom cover along with the wires. I didn't do this and I had to modify (skillfully bodge) them.

boredbloke
17-11-04, 01:12 PM
Cheers Fellas!

The dash I'm getting basically has everything with it i.e. front half on the interior of the car so all the wires should come with it!

Me gf weren't too happy when i said i was gona spend a day or two fitting it though! :lol:

O well! :wink: