PDA

View Full Version : ultimate velocity

probert_nova
16-11-04, 10:20 AM
anyone bought the above kit and if so have you had any problems with it.
i bought the rear bumper in the hope i could modify it to fit the car without the widearch kit. when i placed the bumper central to the car i noticed the right side sticks out 1.5 inches to much. if i move the bumper over to equal out the gap on each side, the space between each exhaust and the bumper is unequal.

these pics are with the bumper being central

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v520/probert_nova/novarearright.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v520/probert_nova/novarearleft.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v520/probert_nova/novarearcentral.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v520/probert_nova/novagap.jpg

also how did other people fit this bumper coz there are no fixings at all (its not a copy)
the guy at uv reckoned pop rivet it to the OE bumper bracket.

cheers

Ste L
16-11-04, 11:04 AM
that fiberglass body kits for you, they never fit perfect

Rob77
16-11-04, 09:27 PM
Right mate, I had the same problem when i bought mine.

This is how I fitted mine.

Remove the bumper iron off the standard rear bumper, (the long metal bracket), and bolt it to the back of the car, via the boot.

Next, get some P40 fibreglass and apply it to the bumper iron, needs to be about an inch deep.

Then line the bumper up centrally to the car (there will be a big gap by each arch). The fibreglass on the metal bracket should touch the inside of the bumper and bond the metal to the bumper. (Sit the bumper on some bricks (or whatever) to get it at the right height, as it will take about 20mins to bond properly)

After the 20mins or so, unbolt the bracket via the boot, and take off the bumper. All being well, the bracket will be bonded to the bumper. (If not just bridge the gap with more fibreglass)

Now that the bumper is off, and the bracket is bonded to it, you want to look along the bracket and fill any gaps with more fibreglass- you dont want this to fall off!!!

Next you want to sort out the brackets near the arches.

You want to bolt the 4 plastic blocks, off the standard bumper, into their relevant positions- (i had to drill a hole lower down for the top bracket each side, as the bumper doesnt go right up to the arch).

Squidge (technical term of the day!!!) some fibreglass into the corners of the bumper where it will meet the arch, and quickly bolt the bumper back onto the car (via the boot).

As you mentioned, the bumper sits wide either side, so you have to get some G clamps onto each side (I used two per side) to clamp the bumper flush with the arch.

After all the fibreglass is hardened, remove the G clamps, unbolt the 4 plastic brackets, and the main bolts in the boot, and take the bumper off.

As before, fill any gaps with fibreglass to make it as strong as possible. (the 4 plastic brackets are under a fair bit of stress holding the bumper flush with arches, so they need to fixed well!!!)

After that has dried / hardened, bolt it all back to the car, and HEY PRESTO, jobs a gud'n!!!

Don't be surprised if you find yourself repeatedly unbolting, adding more fibreglass, then bolting back onto car, then finding the fibreglass still hasn't touched / bonded to the brackets, then unbolting, adding more fibreglass, then bolting back onto car OVER AND OVER!!!

It took me a good whole day to get right, but it works, trust me!!!

Check the pictures out on my profile, notice how it sits flush with the arches.

PM if you want any more advice.

Rob.

(Ps: Ultimate Velocity told me I had to WELD the bumper to the car- WELD a fibreglass bumper????.............. muppets!!!)

-tucny-
21-11-04, 11:25 AM
to make that bumper, theyve obviously cut the bottom section off the bumper made for another car n smoothed it to the nova one, so for a gap to be preasent on each side indicates that theyve not put too much effort in to ensuring a final fit. therefore if its being sold as a nova bumper (no doubt they will have a clause in their sales contract advising it needs trimmer and MINOR alterations however this problem isnt minor) and doesnt fit as a nova bumper then ur entitled to either a full refund, a replacement or the better option a reduction in price. if you get the bumper cheaper, then you can be bothered to alter it yourself.

There isnt really an excuse for the bumper not fitting though. no effort at all must have been put into making it.

jonny_mcc
21-11-04, 01:18 PM
i had the exact same problem. Bought the front bumper thinking it would fit ok (But not prefect coz lets space it nothing fits perfect to a nova!) When i got it i could fit it over the origonal front bumper with a pretty big gap. Cut a long storey short, body shop had to take 8 inches out the middle and it ended up costing ?400 quid to fit! But looks F*cking brilliant!