PDA

View Full Version : Wheel Bearing.

jon_boy
15-11-04, 03:54 PM
I need to replace mine but im on a budget so im doing it myeslf. Can someone just write a basic step by step. oh and im changing to CV boot as well, so if anyone can help with that. im ok with a spanner so just need to know if there are any tricky bits/ special tools needed. Cheers, jon

jon_boy
15-11-04, 05:49 PM
I meant changing THE CV boot as well. And if you all cant be arsed to write that out, is it as simple as take wheel of, take brakes assembly off, and unbolt stuff till i get to to wheel bearing? And same with CV boot? Nowt overly tricky? Cheers for ANY help, jon

Snowface
15-11-04, 05:52 PM
chillout dude.

it takes more than 60mins to get a reply on here.

_JH_
15-11-04, 06:06 PM
I assume you mean the front bearing

Undo the Driveshaft end nut

Loosen wheel nuts

Jack up car

Take the wheel off

Remover caliper and carrier from the upright

EDIT: Forgot to say, remove the track rod end too, use a block of wood if it needs tapping out.

Unbolt the upright from the strut

Remove drive shaft from hub, but if you have to hit it use a block of wood or a copper mallet. It should come out with a bit of fiddling

Undo and remove ball joint retaining nut/bolt

Tap the top of the ball joint with above wood

Take the upright (with hub and bearing still in place) to a garage/engineer with the new bearing kit. They will change it for you with a press.

Refit is the reverse blah blah

Don't listen to any 1000-post 'mechanics' on here who tell you to hit the hub/bearing in and out. its bollocks.

rodgerq
15-11-04, 06:25 PM
i use a vice and an old bearing casing to do mine.

rodgerq

jon_boy
15-11-04, 06:57 PM
sorry snowface. (It was more than 60 minutes lol) but i realised it was a bit of a long question and its asking a lot for someone to write it all out. And cheers for the peeps that did! Legends, cheers again, jon

Philsutton
15-11-04, 07:11 PM
you really need to use a press to do it right, take it to an engineering shop they should be able to do it.