PDA

View Full Version : removing side vinal

liam97
14-11-04, 11:04 PM
just wanted to know how hard it would be to get the vinal off the side of my sri and i've its worth it and will i find any nasty surprises

burgo
15-11-04, 12:24 AM
if you car is rusty elseware you may find nasty suprises if not go for it. easiest way is to use a heat gun, as your heating it the look of it changes (you'll see what i mean when you do it) this is when you peel it off. if it is hot enough it takes the glue off aswell, may take a few panels to get the hang of it but its easy really

Glytch
15-11-04, 12:38 AM
What's the chance of it taking the paint off?

burgo
15-11-04, 12:48 AM
i very much doubt it unless its rusty and it comes off with the rust!! as long as you heat it up shouldnt have a problem at all

Glytch
15-11-04, 01:09 AM
Nooooooo

I meant the heat gun taking the paint off the car, isnt that what they were designed for?

burgo
15-11-04, 01:11 AM
oh rite well yeah if you keep the heat gun in one place for to long it will

Marc
15-11-04, 09:52 AM
i found wen taken my stripe off each side i left it in the sun for an hour n half then took the stripe off with a crap ice scrapper was dun in less than 20 mins, but had all the glue still on it but got that off with white spirit in 5 mins. but me nmate took 2 to 3 hours gettin teh stripe of his.

epo
15-11-04, 09:17 PM
personnaly i wouldnt take it off

i took mine off and a coner of me door had been filled and sprayed profesionally (looked spot on couldnt tell) untill the thinners touched it and itwent crazy so i had to spray the door

if your gonna do it
the best piece of advice i can give you is...
wait for a warm summer day
it comes off so easy when its warm
i did mine one side at a time first time it was a cold weekend and took ages

next weekend it was well hot and peeled off piece of pish

be prepared to have aching fingers

liam97
17-11-04, 05:33 PM
thanks alot for your help i managed to get it off fine with a heat gun and then t cut the car next day and it looks top hopefully get some photos up soon

burgo
17-11-04, 08:19 PM
yeah get the pics up mate and i forgot to say about the aching fingers