PDA

View Full Version : 16" Wheels

biker
14-11-04, 08:31 AM
Would I get away with fitting a set of 16's with 205/50/16 tyres and an offset of 49 without having to grind away my arches?

My motor is lowered 60mm all round.
Cheers Lads

m.d.
14-11-04, 09:32 AM
dont be such a fanny. get the grinder out and do the arches. its really not a hard jab and as long as you treet them you will never have any problems

Philsutton
14-11-04, 10:36 AM
205 tyres are not nova friendly, my 16s with 195 tyres on sometimes catch

Jim
14-11-04, 11:09 AM
205/50/16 tyres will give you problems. Change them to 195/45/16. If you dont feel confident grinding the arches away yourself take it to a bodyshop and get them to do it, shouldn't cost too much (I dont know how much, as bodyshops throughout the country vary in price).

Jim

nov4
15-11-04, 07:14 PM
My 195's catch on the front arch lip. its an easy job to get rid of the lip, i did it on my old nova. it would be easier to get the grinder out 1st, much cheaper than tyres, then thats 1 possibility eliminated.

chris

Mike
15-11-04, 09:47 PM
195/45 is wot u want but theyll still cvatch a bit. mine did

hendrix
16-11-04, 03:06 PM
i ground my arches to fit my 16's but they still caught when i had ppl in the back of my car so i put the 15's back on because i couldnt afford new tires at the time for my 16's. After i ground the arches i tried to push them out a bit with a rubber mallet and a block of wood.
I suppose the amount of scrubbage depends on the offset of the wheel

DrivingSpanner
16-11-04, 03:53 PM
STOP !!!
dont grinf the lip off you will loose all the strengh it gives the shell, fold it over dont grind it off

Ben
16-11-04, 04:04 PM
STOP !!!
dont grinf the lip off you will loose all the strengh it gives the shell, fold it over dont grind it off

Stop dont listen to him hes talking bollocks.

DrivingSpanner
16-11-04, 05:04 PM
STOP !!!

Stop dont listen to him hes talking b******s.

NO on the rear the lip is where the side panel joines to the floor on the shell and by grinding this off you loose the spot welds that hold it all together, im not saying that it will fall apart, cos it wont because it will still have loads of other spot welds left, but it will reduce its stiffness. It wasnt put there just for the fun of it you know it is there so the whole car could be assembled origionally.

Aragorn
17-11-04, 10:04 AM
yer so as long as u dont grind past the spot welds (or if u do, reweld it up afterwards) then your fine

Ben
17-11-04, 10:41 AM
quite obviously you dont grind it to a sharp edge, thats not nessacary.

DrivingSpanner
17-11-04, 12:19 PM
yes i know that, you know that, but not every1 will know that...
besides folding it over is the better way to do it, if you were to take your car to a really top bodyshop that is how they would do it.

Try this little experiment to show the extra strength the return adds, get a piece of paper, its all floppy right??? now put a 90 degree fold along it, now when you hold it out it will not flop down like before. if it has that much effect on a piece of paper, just emagion what it would do to your car...