PDA

View Full Version : Another xe goes pop! :cry:

TWAG
13-11-04, 11:30 PM
The xe nova was due to come off the road today, after my first ever rolling road day for a bit of a winter re build.

But things didnt go quite as planned.......

Got up this morning and car was making a lot of noise, assumed it was the gearbox coz its on its way out. Proceded to the rolling road, where it only managed 135bhp!!!! :o

On the way home the whole bottem end ceased and i had to be taken home on the back of a rac truck! :cry: :cry: :cry:

So it looks like im going to have to fit a LET know :lol:

What is it with novas, things nether go as planned!!!

Rach
13-11-04, 11:31 PM
sorry to hear that mate... :cry:

Mike.
13-11-04, 11:33 PM
thats not good

J4MES
14-11-04, 04:25 AM
unlucky mate, but the LET will be better (that doesnt mean more reliable :twisted: :twisted: ).....

Philsutton
14-11-04, 10:15 AM
i no how you feel, im on my 4th engine now since ive had the car. Going to try an spend the rest of the day wiring mine back up after my 2lt went

Glytch
14-11-04, 10:20 AM
Same here, I'm gonna be spending today reverting back to the GSI

scott.parker
14-11-04, 05:53 PM
Oh dear it dont sound to good for the vavler engines at the mo! :roll:

Bad luck mate was a nice engien you had there.

scott

Glytch
14-11-04, 06:51 PM
Cheers Scott

Rick Draper
14-11-04, 07:33 PM
O dear, think long and carefully about fitting a LET engine. Rick

scott.parker
14-11-04, 07:37 PM

Yeah but mate you can just fit them in,not spend a fourtune on custome bits and then do it.lol

so is yours any where near completion?

scott

Riggy
14-11-04, 07:52 PM
sorry to hear that twag it was a nice one mate :D

Rick Draper
14-11-04, 07:58 PM

Yeah but mate you can just fit them in,not spend a fourtune on custome bits and then do it.lol

scott

You spend ?1200-?1500 on a engine ?350 on a 6 speed gearbox (to make it reliable, not boost while at motorway speed), crack the box open and change the speedo ring, fit the engine and gearbox on custom mounts, fit a custom FMIC to keep charge temps low in a feeble attempt to make the standard LET reliable, clean all the injectors as one that aint working right gives its first indication of this when a piston melts, whip the head off to fit a steel head gasket and then you find out that after all that it misses while on boost or something like that. As standard LETs are the most unreliable engines you can possibly buy second hand, even fucking Dell Boy would not touch one. Rick

scott.parker
14-11-04, 08:10 PM

scott

You spend ?1200-?1500 on a engine ?350 on a 6 speed gearbox (to make it reliable, not boost while at motorway speed), crack the box open and change the speedo ring, fit the engine and gearbox on custom mounts, fit a custom FMIC to keep charge temps low in a feeble attempt to make the standard LET reliable, clean all the injectors as one that aint working right gives its first indication of this when a piston melts, whip the head off to fit a steel head gasket and then you find out that after all that it misses while on boost or something like that. As standard LETs are the most unreliable engines you can possibly buy second hand, even f**k Dell Boy would not touch one. Rick

Good job i made my mined up to stick with my XE and just mod that insted then..

scott

TWAG
14-11-04, 11:20 PM
Cant see how the LET is that unreliable, they have been going for years!

You tend to get problems when you start f**king around with them.

Im just planning to run a standerd LET with a big intercooler.

Riggy
14-11-04, 11:26 PM
even f**k Dell Boy would not touch one. Rick

lol that just made me laugh :D

and i know of a couple of lets which have been a bit iffy

tonydrys and lee haslems

Ben
15-11-04, 09:04 AM
They are Murder, take heed on what others say!

Rick Draper
15-11-04, 01:22 PM
If you go on mig and search for LET most of the questuions are asking for help in how to get them running right! Even in Calibras and Cavs they dont run right. Rick

Snowface
15-11-04, 06:25 PM
be better to whack some 45's on an XE and some wild cams.
You can get LET power fairly easily i imagine.

Philsutton
15-11-04, 07:07 PM
^^ will sound alot better than a let as well :D

Rick Draper
15-11-04, 07:30 PM
^^ will sound alot better than a let as well :D

Dunno my car sounds fucking mint when it starts to spool, sounds like a fucking huge vacume cleaner thats looking to suck up cats, dogs and even the odd human! lol. Rick

dexxturbonova
15-11-04, 08:00 PM
Didnt have any problems with my LET up to the point of the fuel pump starting to die then the oil pump gave up the ghost.
In the process or a rebuild at the moment, going to run her standard for the time being and mod her bit by bit to make it easy to iron problems out.
Just remembered my throttle sensor went faulty and wouldnt boost for a bit, about it really.

Philsutton
15-11-04, 08:05 PM
would actually like to hears yours an see it running when its done :D but ive always prefered the sound of carb/tb's over turbos in general

TWAG
15-11-04, 08:09 PM
well, i think ill still give the LET a try, and see what happens :? . Ive blown up a 1.6 8v and now a 2l 16v, so might as well try and top it all off with a let :lol:

scott.parker
15-11-04, 11:09 PM
well, i think ill still give the LET a try, and see what happens :? . Ive blown up a 1.6 8v and now a 2l 16v, so might as well try and top it all off with a let :lol:

Well when you put it that way,why not try a v6,or a phil spacial V8 :D

scott

Nick
15-11-04, 11:13 PM
nothing beats the sound of a dump..

a turbo dump that is :roll: :lol:

dexxturbonova
16-11-04, 05:39 PM
Twag your an arse, you just bought that turbo engine i was gonna get off ebay :lol: .

TWAG
16-11-04, 06:04 PM
:lol: what a bargain hey!!!!!!

cant beleive my luck!!!!

scott.parker
16-11-04, 06:28 PM
Twag hes moaning on about you on mig,lol :lol:

http://www.migweb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=162259

scott

dexxturbonova
16-11-04, 07:55 PM
lol, thats not me :wink: . My ID is dexx250 on mig. Someone else was obviously after it. I just wanted to buy it and make a profit by selling off the engine and box separately. Already got a turbo engine see 8) .

dan16v
16-11-04, 09:10 PM
:lol: lets are shite!
just put a t3 on it and sm2-- sorted :lol:

we can throw the let in saturday m8 as im not busy? what time is it being delivered? sounds dodgy, 60k let hybrid and f28 for ?800 :?

scott.parker
17-11-04, 01:12 AM
lol, thats not me :wink: . My ID is dexx250 on mig. Someone else was obviously after it. I just wanted to buy it and make a profit by selling off the engine and box separately. Already got a turbo engine see 8) .

Ah yes this is true mate but i didnt say it was you that was moaning about it,as i know it wernt i read down the page mate :D

DeXx250
MIGWeb User

Drives: Nova 2l 16v

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The guy might just not have had a clue about the value of what he was selling. Either that or he was trying to sell of bad rubbish quickly . I was going to buy it and split the box and engine and make a profit by selling them separately.

There ya go,lol :wink:

scott

dexxturbonova
23-11-04, 07:32 PM
Did he get the engine after or not?

Rick Draper
24-11-04, 12:46 AM
Did he get the engine after or not?

Nope dont think so, he has put a post up on mig askign if anyone knows the car. He says he is just claiming money back of paypal but can only claim back ?250 :( Rick