PDA

View Full Version : Rev counter not working

krobinson
13-11-04, 09:23 PM
My nova used to be SPI 1.2i. Now with the 1.3SR engine running carbs, the rev counter on my digi dash aint workin. I have the green wire connected to the coil, which is supposed to be the right one?

But maybe i've not done something right? anyone?

Keith

m.d.
13-11-04, 11:28 PM
its got to be connected to the -ve side of the coil. may be woth checking ts see if it is.

krobinson
14-11-04, 12:04 PM
Yep, green is connected to the right side..

I cant understand it, any other suggestions?

Keith

dan-hipgrave
14-11-04, 03:23 PM
maybe the digi dash circuits are at fault mate :|

Nick
14-11-04, 11:31 PM
i had this problem with my digidash. I conected it to the right terminal on the coil. And it didn't work.

After coming on novaload to ask, i went back out and tried it again ! this time it worked.

Try cleaning the connections with some electronic connection cleaner. I've heard duck oil insulates connections.

it shouldn't really be a problem with your dash, as the circuits that go are on the plastic bag style PCB that is stuck onto the back of the dash. however this controls all the lights and lamps , such as handbrake,indicators, and so forth.

Try taking the dash apart, i got as far as the main PCB. Inspect it for any signs of burning or damaged solder. you'l need some torx bits to do this. you might beable to trace the path of the Rev counter connection.

And this may sound like a stupid question, but does the right hand side of the dash Light up !? could be the halogen bulb that's blown thus resulting in your dash not being lit !

if you need any help with dismantling, post me some pics cos i gotta A-level electronics, should be able to figure out what's going on !

burgo
15-11-04, 12:13 AM
i gotta A-level electronics, should be able to figure out what's going on !

ooooo handy bloke to know.

did your digi dash work before the transplant??

robb2
15-11-04, 11:38 AM
Run a temporary wire to check that your original green isn't broken inside or corroded.

Put the green onto another dash to check.

Then look at your 'problem' dash.

Nick
15-11-04, 09:20 PM
lol, it was an impossibly difficult course, i still came out with a B tho !

In my 1.2 the orignial green wire was not running to the coil, i think it was a random wire. so if your using a green wire behind the clocks, then run a wire through youself.

Mine didn't work for a bit before, restart the engine and it did.
Try connecting it to the right terminal and restart,run e.t.c a few times, it might spring to life.

if not, sticka multimeter on your coil outputs n tell me wot it says.

Stuart
15-11-04, 10:48 PM

ditto but i dont shout about it lol

2nd highest mark in the UK for 1999 :) ah thankyou

Nick
16-11-04, 10:12 PM
lol cambridge, that's pretty good..

i kno in lower 6th i got something like 95% on the overall year... the 2nd year i slacked big time so i dropped to a c

did u find it hard ? i found it impossible at time, but i obviously took it in, somehow ! :| :|

burgo
16-11-04, 10:18 PM

ditto but i dont shout about it lol

2nd highest mark in the UK for 1999 :) ah thankyou ooo get you