PDA

View Full Version : loft insulation in sub box

LANKYPASS
13-11-04, 08:37 PM
i was told that sticking loft instulation i a bass box increases the volume and deepness and of the bass. is this truse as it sounds a bit dodgy to me :roll: :roll:

or is it just me :P :lol:

srs1
13-11-04, 08:40 PM
believe it or not, its true.

LANKYPASS
13-11-04, 08:42 PM
do ya know around about how much is a good amount to fill it with??? 50% or something like that?

Motor World
14-11-04, 03:24 AM
If you were to take apert old house speakers, then you would find the same stuff that you wind up in your loft (rockwool?)

epo
14-11-04, 09:59 AM
be warned tho if your using loft insulation you want gloves on and a dust mask as it itches like hell
and if it gets on your chest you'll be coughing your bollox up for hours
its not nice stuff

Divaldo
14-11-04, 11:30 AM
i just used cotten wool padding, loads of the stuff!!

Spud
14-11-04, 05:32 PM
i thought this but then i decided that it might be prone to catchignlight if it got hot. My sub booklet said use loosley packed fibre fill

Divaldo
14-11-04, 05:34 PM
ive just bought a duel sub enclosure off ebay for ?6

Cheeze
14-11-04, 07:02 PM
get an old bed cover, a lot of them have plenty in them that fills a box nicly to what u need

Cassie-Nova
14-11-04, 08:24 PM
Out of interest, is having holes cut into the sides of the sub-woofer box a good thing or a bad thing??? I was under the impression that having one was a good idea?

Am i right in thinking this?

What thickness of the rockwool is best to use, dont want to pad it out with too much or too little etc.

Cheers!

Jim

Cheeze
14-11-04, 08:27 PM
i think what ur meaning are ports, they aint just random holes cut into the box, but are "tuned" acording to the box size and the subs, u must have a sealed box them i guessing

srs1
14-11-04, 10:08 PM
plus, a box with ports does not need to be filled with any pading.

a enclosed sealed sub box, is designed to help create a lower frequency.
a ported box is designed to have fast pacey notes.

burgo
15-11-04, 12:25 AM
ported boxes are useually louder then sealed boxes aswell!

Glytch
15-11-04, 12:48 AM
The best stuff to stuff them with can be had from ur local knitting shop, ask them for toy stuffing, or if youve got one, rip ur little sisters teddies apart.

You dont want to stuff it too full either, and not not stuffing it enough is a waste of time. Just fill it untill it all sits in place nicely.

As for the holes, sealed enclosures allow for a deeper bass, either way the manufacturers know what they intended for the sub so best leave it as is.

burgo
15-11-04, 12:51 AM
[quote="Glytch"]The best stuff to stuff them with can be had from ur local knitting shop, ask them for toy stuffing, or if youve got one, rip ur little sisters teddies apart.
quote]

you sick cruel mo fo!!! teddys have fellings to havnt you ever watched toy story ??? :cry:

Nova_Newbie
08-12-04, 09:27 AM
I padded my sub box and door pods with this stuff from Maplins it only cost ?1.30 a pack

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=3400&TabID=1&worldid=6&source=14&doy=8m12

:D hope this helps

-tucny-
08-12-04, 02:40 PM
if youve got a ported box, make sure the subs uv got can be used in a ported box.

the cone needs air behind it to be at a certain pressure as it acts as a suspension when the cone recoils.

a high excursion sub for example will usually run in a ported box, however the chances are if you stick a cheap sub with a magnet the size of a milk bottle top in a ported box itll bottom out and pop very quick.

use wadding in a sealed box, if u do put and in a ported box u glue it down. the wadding affects the sound by smothering the waves in the box minimizing sharp slaping sounds giving a deep rich bass.