PDA

View Full Version : HELP! siezed wheel lock nut - no key

race-more
12-11-04, 07:35 PM
i recently purchased a new car, during the service i checked the wheel nuts (slackened them off then torqed them up). i found one of the lock nuts (3 pin type) to be extremly tight. so far i've have tried a 6 foot long bar for extra lever but this just started to elongate the holes. so secondly i tried to use an air gun as this was probably how it was over tightened in the first place, but this just ripped all the teeth of the lock nut key. so now i have a very messy lookin lock nut and no key.

does any one have any ideas on how to remove the pesky thing now?(fortunatly i took the other three out before i wrecked the key)

burgo
12-11-04, 07:39 PM
these twist bolts are very good to get locking wheel nuts put

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/OBJECTS/42700/42624.JPG

General Baxter
12-11-04, 08:32 PM
im sure your local chav 13 year old could tell you :wink:

Adam
12-11-04, 08:52 PM
im sure your local chav 13 year old could tell you :wink:
:lol:
I heard Halfords are now selling locking nuts removal tools :o
Whats the world coming to.
You could try hammering a socket onto there. But it sound too tight for anything.
A garage could probably get it off, they would probably screw a splitter pin into it and split the nut in half.

Stuart
12-11-04, 09:39 PM
dangerous top tip

slacken the other bolts off a bit and then drive about SLOWLY!, maybe snap acceleration and deceleration will slacken them.

be careful and its only a suggestion, if you do it and fcuk it up. it aint my fault!

MechaT
12-11-04, 10:12 PM
My local parts factor sold locking wheelnut removers - right next to the locking wheelnuts :roll:

nathan.
13-11-04, 09:26 AM
you can buy new keys, but try hammering a 12 sided socket onto the bolt, this usually works. you will have to buy new wheel bolts though.

General Baxter
13-11-04, 10:08 AM
i dont think that would work, as if there like mine

you have the 3 pin holes on the inside, in the out side of the bolt there its a disk that spins round, to stop you from putting anything on it and undoing it :lol:

Matt2107
13-11-04, 12:55 PM
I had the same problem....

solution was to weld an extension to the wheel nut and then use four or five huge mechanics to put enough pressure on the nut to free it.

A blow torch might also help to heat the nut.

burgo
13-11-04, 12:58 PM
dangerous top tip

slacken the other bolts off a bit and then drive about SLOWLY!, maybe snap acceleration and deceleration will slacken them.

be careful and its only a suggestion, if you do it and fcuk it up. it aint my fault! lol have you ever tried this cambridge ?? plus usiong a blow torch will probably fook your ally

phil_sorensen
13-11-04, 01:53 PM
I have had to remove a similar wheel bolt at work tothe one you have. I had to drill a hole into the centre of the bolt then hammer a 50torx, (star shapedbit) into the hole, then managed to crack the nut off with a breaker bar. This worked for mebutof it doesn't work then you've really buggered the nut, and last solution could be drilling the bolt out, which is a tricky job.

dunova
13-11-04, 02:14 PM
I had a similar kind of problem-i bought my gsi and when i went to take a wheel of a couple of weeks later realised they had lockers on and i had no key! I went to the vaux dealer and gave a mechanic a tenner-he used a tool that cut itself into the wheel nut really deep, then he just undid it. Easy :wink:

Philsutton
13-11-04, 05:59 PM
when ever i destroy a bolt/snap one i either weld another bolt onto it then use that one to undo it, get a big fuck off hammer an chisel an tap it round or use the tool burgo was on about ( if i have access to it though)

dooooney
14-11-04, 09:33 AM
just get ur self and old cold chisl and you can wak them off slowly i had to do it at the scrap to get my gsi rims off a nova at the scrap then buy new 1s

125scouse
14-11-04, 03:28 PM
try to chisel the outer edge off first, this will mean you can get a grip of the inside of the locknut,

SEALLY do locking wheel nut remover's, they cut a left hand thread onto the outside of the nut then when it tightens up it will undo the locknut, it will bollox ur locknut but at least you can get ur wheel off

*Don't use an air gun wit the locknut removers, because they will shatter*

jon_boy
14-11-04, 06:52 PM
try as i do with those sheer bolt things (bolts where the tops come off when they are done up as used to hold the key barrel to steering column). make a groove across the top, nice n deep, maybe a chisel or an angle grinder then use a screwdriver in the groove. or drill it.

race-more
16-11-04, 09:57 PM
finally got the bolt out, well got local kwik fit mechanic to do it... did it exactly like 125scouse said. the mechanic had the bolt out within a minute.... slightly worrying :?