PDA

View Full Version : After 18 months my beetle is back!

Chris_W
10-11-04, 04:18 PM
Ok, i know it's not a Nova, but this is what I've been ploughing my money into for the past 2 years since I got rid of the nova. Not much to look at if your not into beetles, as you won't notice whats changed. Before anyone asks, yes, it has cost me a small fortune to get it to this point, but if I finish it, it will be one of the fastest RWD cars in the country. Take a peek and give an opinion!

Click here! (http://www.chriswardy.btinternet.co.uk/mybeetle/)

Chris

Chris_W
10-11-04, 04:21 PM
oh yeah, here's a quick tech spec for it so far:
1963 Bodyshell
1972 GT Chassis
6" Narrowed front Beam
Straight Bar Steering
Quick Release Italvolanti Steering Wheel
Beard Suspension Seats
Fully welded CDS 6 point rollcage incorporating door bars, seat mounting bars, harness mounting points, seat brace bar, dash bar, tacho mount, steering column mount, window net mounting points, frame fork bracing and rear shock pick up points.
Custom ally panelling incorporating front and rear bulkhead replacement and petrol tank cover.
Transmisson raised 3" and solid mounted.
Swayway 3" narrowed race axles.
Custom semi-ladder bar rear suspension.
Avo coilovers on rear.
Dzus fastened rear valance and decklid.
Lexan windows incorporating NACA ducts in rear side windows.
Scat Dragfast Shifter
Rancho Freeway flyer transmission rebuilt into new Rhino case,heavy duty aluminium side plate,welded 3rd and 4th gears,steel shift forks and a JayCee Spool. Ratios: 3.78 1st, 2.06 2nd, 1.26 3rd, 0.82 4th and 3.88 ring and pinion.

Chris

Chris
10-11-04, 04:23 PM
Looks like a really well crafted project, lots of attention to detail. Hat off to you! What engine will it be running?

Chris

epo
10-11-04, 04:24 PM
Looks like a really well crafted project, lots of attention to detail. Hat off to you! What engine will it be running?

Chris

was gonna ask the same thing

Fester
10-11-04, 04:25 PM
Someones been busy!

Dpnova
10-11-04, 04:26 PM
i remember chatting to you about it when i bought the 40's off you. nice one

Ste L
10-11-04, 04:31 PM
What engine will it be running?
Chris

looking at his avatar, i'd say 2332cc Turbo :o

just a guess :)

Chris_W
10-11-04, 04:46 PM
Well it was gonna be a 2332cc running on DTA, T04E hybrid turbo and some NOS. But at the moment I'm unsure whether to sell the project on, or finish it. If I finish it though the engine plans will probably change, and when I say change I mean get bigger :lol:

Chris

Ste L
10-11-04, 04:48 PM
i think you should keep it and finish it, sound like its gonna be a proper beast :twisted:

Ben
10-11-04, 04:53 PM
What sort of value would you put on the shell as it is now?

Does look great.

Chris_W
10-11-04, 05:10 PM
Well to get it where it is now has cost me 5 figures :o
But if I was looking to sell as it is now I'd probably want ?4-5K, but it's not bad when you consider the gearbox alone would set you back ?1K and the wheels and tyres again are another ?1K. Does make for easy adding up though, everything I buy seems to have cost a grand! :wink: lol

Chris

burgo
10-11-04, 07:03 PM
very kool mate!! how can you get bigger than 2332 turbo unless your thinking of bolting a porshe lump in it of course.

my cousin has built a fairly mad beatle check it out here
http://groups.msn.com/HERTSVWCLUB/edscustombug.msnw

Chris_W
10-11-04, 07:15 PM
Money is the only factor to how big you want to go! On a Type 1 engine, ie beetle based, I think you can get out to about 2.5 or 2.6. If you go for a Type 4 engine (camper based) you can go out to about 3.4 or 3.6. As I said though, it all comes down to money. Basically we've worked it out to needing just over 400bhp at the rear wheels to make it run the numbers we want on the 1/4 mile, so a blown 2.3 or 2.4 should should make that easily.

Chris

Rick Draper
10-11-04, 07:31 PM
Its still a Hitler wagon :lol: Rick