PDA

View Full Version : C16XE swap

Muttly
10-11-04, 07:47 AM
Hey all. I've got a 1.2spi and I'm consedering doing a C16XE swap. Does anyone have a guide? I was told there was one on roybacer but I could never find it. Also should there be any problems fitting it? Mountings etc. Will I need a different rad?
Any pics of it being done or finished would be appreciated. Even a link to a feature here that has it done.

Ben
10-11-04, 08:54 AM
www.valvers.co.uk is the guide but its not that difficult.

The only difference to fitting the 8v is the rad top hose and the throttle cable. (and the wiring).

Very easy conversion.

DrivingSpanner
10-11-04, 01:30 PM
there aint no guide on there just a nice looking astra GTE for sale!

geordie_racer
10-11-04, 04:41 PM
theres is a guide on roybacer, here it is in the how2 section

http://forums.roybacer.net/index.php?showtopic=5316

i knew it was there as i wrote it and novataker put it in the how 2 section

chris

Aragorn
10-11-04, 04:51 PM
its a small block - the valvers guide is for big block engines no?

fits just the same as a normal small block engine

u need a F13 or F15 gearbox
corsa GSi top radiator hose
corsa gsi heater hoses
corsa gsi throttle cable
nova engine mounts and engine mount brackets

best bet is to fit it and see what problems u have - i had a breather spur on the inlet trunking hitting my brake servo which no-one mentioned untill i fitted it

u wont need any of the transponder shit mentioned in the roybacer article if u use a C16XE

Ben
10-11-04, 04:57 PM
There used to be a C16 XE guide on valvers as we used the wiring diagrams.

j1400
10-11-04, 05:29 PM
You can get away with keeping the smaller rad. But if you tune it up then you'll find that you'll need a bigger rad, but don't do it just because, wait and see.
Also you'll need to swap you fuel pump for one from a MPi engine. I used one from a 2L astra then ground off about 5mm from the top and bottom (total) so it fitted ok.
Also you'll need to abuse the Gsi down pipe to fit right cause it sits a bit high where it connects to the system.

Ste L
10-11-04, 05:37 PM
There used to be a C16 XE guide on valvers as we used the wiring diagrams.

i used to have it saved on my comp, but i can't find it anymore :?

Ojc
10-11-04, 08:34 PM
u wont need any of the transponder s**t mentioned in the roybacer article if u use a C16XE

Some C16XE's did have immobilisers if, when new they ticked the optional extra box "Engine Immobilser"

On the X16XE it was standard.

Glytch
10-11-04, 08:46 PM
it would also be a good idea upgrade the antiroll bar, suspension and brakes to gsi kit

Phil GTE
11-11-04, 12:33 AM
think i need the c16xe guide.... :roll: :oops: :P

Ben
11-11-04, 08:20 AM
u wont need any of the transponder s**t mentioned in the roybacer article if u use a C16XE

Some C16XE's did have immobilisers if, when new they ticked the optional extra box "Engine Immobilser"

Wouldnt bother arguing mate as Aragon will go to Vaux and ask for the optional extra sheet avalible for 93-95 Corsa GSi's.

think i need the c16xe guide....

You need more than that Phil!

Aragorn
11-11-04, 10:26 AM
lol mate no i wouldnt go that far but i dont remember seeing anything in the wiring diagrams in the haynes for engine immobiliser on the c16xe ecu loom

if it was a feature then the wiring should be shown in the haynes just like it is for the X14/6 and all the other engines with the immobiliser

there may well have been an option but it was probably an external system much like you'd get if you fitted a cat2 immobiliser to any engine

Muttly
11-11-04, 01:00 PM
The suspension has alrewady been upgraded with GMax shopcks and springs. Theres a 288mm brake kit for the front and a disc conversion for the back.

homeboy.G.
14-11-04, 06:47 PM

NO c16xe has a immobiliser built in2 the loom or ecu!!

Ojc
14-11-04, 07:01 PM

NO c16xe has a immobiliser built in2 the loom or ecu!!

Oh FFS, whatever I'm not bothering to argue.

My mate on CorsaSport Adam D had to go and get the transponder and chip for his C16XE, everyone was confused by it as like you and everybody else they thought the C16XE had no transponder and chip.

Factory optional extra, engine immobiliser.

Muttly
14-11-04, 07:25 PM
The X16XE had it, I'm almost certain it was seperate on the C16XE.

Ben
15-11-04, 09:09 AM
My mate on CorsaSport Adam D had to go and get the transponder and chip for his C16XE, everyone was confused by it as like you and everybody else they thought the C16XE had no transponder and chip.

Factory optional extra, engine immobiliser.

No the key/ Transponder ones, you have summed it up. Dont listen to ANYONE from Corsa Sport they are full of shite.

homeboy.G.
22-11-04, 08:55 PM
totally agree wiv u my man!!!! there di cks!!! :roll:

Ojc
23-11-04, 11:05 AM
Yes, and I suppose you have met any of them?

My first impression of you lot was (is) a lot worse than of any CS members :lol:

Ben
23-11-04, 03:48 PM
I can handle that as you sum up corsa sport, sh*t driving muppet.

Ojc
23-11-04, 04:09 PM
Your a bit of a hard nut are'nt you? Acting like the biggen from Wigan behind a computer screen.

Anyway, shit driving? Where did you get that from?

Will F
23-11-04, 04:44 PM
Ahem. The fact it took you 3 weeks to do the quarter mile! :lol:

Ben
23-11-04, 05:04 PM
Your a bit of a hard nut are'nt you? Acting like the biggen from Wigan behind a computer screen.

Anyway, s**t driving? Where did you get that from?

I am big full stop.

Yer a 17sec+ 1/4 mile time for a stripped out 1600 16v nova would demonstrate poor driving ability to me.

Ojc
23-11-04, 05:20 PM

Anyway, s**t driving? Where did you get that from?

I am big full stop.

Yer a 17sec+ 1/4 mile time for a stripped out 1600 16v nova would demonstrate poor driving ability to me.

Again you lack any sort of knowledge of my car.

It was running a SPi fuel pump, and it ran a 16.8 with that pump. It now has a MPi pump but the Pod is shut for winter, I shall return in January when it re-opens.

Ben
23-11-04, 05:33 PM
Again you lack any sort of knowledge of my car.

Nope i lack care ie: I dont.

Aragorn
24-11-04, 09:33 AM
if that pump was flowing so little fuel that u gained 3secs on a 1/4 mile your lucky u didnt melt anything

Ben
24-11-04, 02:21 PM
you can run 16 16v's on carb tanks well enough only lets you down when hammering round a trak or serious cornering, so once again the Corsasport chimp istalking bollo*ks.

Aragorn
24-11-04, 11:22 PM
my 1.6 16v is running from a carb tank with a GTE pump bolted on

and if u corner hard with less than 1/4 tank it dies, otherwise it seems fine

i'll be swapping my tank for an SPi tank with mpi pump in a few months time so hopefully that will sort the fuel surge problems i face just now

however for the spi pump to cause a 2-3 sec increase in 1/4 mile time it must be leaning out quite a lot at top end which would mean that hes risking melting pistons and the like

its not about the tank its about how much fuel the pump can physically flow at the given pressure, and that spi pump surely isnt designed to flow enough fuel at 3 bar for a 1600 engine when its designed to run at 0.7bar on a 1.2 or 1.4

DrivingSpanner
25-11-04, 08:56 AM
If you are running the carb fuel tank and you have injection, you should really fit a swirl pot to avoid running dry on the fuel when cornering, otherwise you may endup melting pistons, the injection tank has a built in swirl pot (i am told).
The carb tank does not because the float chamber in the carb does the same job.

Ojc
25-11-04, 10:26 AM
Ben, your a dick.

I have a Spi tank and have bolted a Mpi pump underneath the car, I have left the Spi fuel pump inside the tank and the fuel comes through the pump in the tank and can still use the swirlpot at the bottom.

Ben
29-11-04, 09:35 AM
Think what you want shrimp boy!

Aragorn
29-11-04, 12:15 PM
surely if the spi pump cant flow enough fuel for high rpm WOT running bolting another pump inline isnt going to help it?

the mpi pumps are designed to be gravity fed - they arent designed to suck fuel into themselves and surely at high revs your just gonna damage both pumps since the spi one is being over driven due to the mpi pump sucking the fuel thru it and the mpi pump haivng to apply a vacuum to the inlet side that its not designed to run?

surely running a proper intank MPi pump is what u need to do?

Ben
29-11-04, 12:24 PM
Kev, the car was stripped for 1/4 mile racing etc and when he had a terrible time he refitted interior to excuse the time etc, its not a fuel problem as you have stated you are using a carb tank etc and so have rally cars been setup with this system.

When he swaps the fuel tanks/pumps he will then find another excuse to cover up his complete inability as a driver.

Ojc
29-11-04, 06:52 PM
Kev, the car was stripped for 1/4 mile racing etc and when he had a terrible time he refitted interior to excuse the time etc, its not a fuel problem as you have stated you are using a carb tank etc and so have rally cars been setup with this system.

When he swaps the fuel tanks/pumps he will then find another excuse to cover up his complete inability as a driver.

Do you have some sort of issue with me?

Are you jealous of something?

Have I caused you pain in a previous life?

You seem to lack any sort of memory, I have already told you that its not my driving, my friend tried to get a better time in my car and I drove his, I got the times he was getting in his Corsa GSi, he got the times I was getting in my Nova.

Its sorted now anyway you chump, drives like its supposed to drive.

Ben
30-11-04, 09:08 AM
Your still a skinny runt!

Ojc
30-11-04, 01:35 PM
Are you so lost for words that you have to resort to calling people names?

You ought to grow up mate.

Stuart
30-11-04, 02:24 PM
both of you (ojc and ben) have made it to 2 strikes

anymore of this and you'll both be 24 sin binned!!!

stop bitching, leave that for RB and CS!!!

Ben
30-11-04, 03:02 PM
lol 2 strikes? what was the first for?

Stuart
30-11-04, 03:08 PM
being from bristol :p

i can set how ever many strikes i like, i am the law

Ben
30-11-04, 03:09 PM
If i get three and banned for 24hours do i start at zero again?

Stuart
30-11-04, 03:15 PM
no, just for you, you go back to 2

Ben
30-11-04, 03:22 PM
Damn i was going to call you a fat boat driving posh wanker to get it reset, but i wont bother :lol: