PDA

View Full Version : new cage and driving position

benji
08-11-04, 08:09 PM
i fitted my new cage on sunday, 6pt saftey devices with door bars and fixed diagonal. it cost ?360 delivered. there's a few pic's on my site, but they arn't great. i havn't fitted the door bars yet as they hit the speakers, so i got some ally sheet to make some new door cards, just need some polycarbanate windows now.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/bencurry/back_to_main_page134.htm

i also swapped how my seat was fitted. i did have corbra subframes botled to the floor, but hammering round a track does you floor no good, so i welded in some steel rails to bolt my seat to, the only problem is it now sits 2.5" from the floor. i can only just see over the steering wheel, and pressing the pedals is like sitting on the floor and holding your feet in the air. how has everyone else fitted their seat's? mine are bottom mounted cobra monacos , i have kept the sliders and bolted them to the bar's i welded in. is there any way of lowerin the steering coloumn?

Dan
08-11-04, 08:18 PM
Well done benji :D , the cage is a must when it comes to tightening the chassis up. As regards the seats, i actually modified my standard runners and just used them, saved all the hassle of seating position etc etc

benji
08-11-04, 08:26 PM
positioning is not a problem, i still use the cobra sliders, but it's just so damn low.

nathan.
08-11-04, 08:27 PM
nice cage mate. look awesome dont they? check mine out

http://www.novaload.net/features/viewfeature.php?ref=2141

Al Wilson
08-11-04, 08:32 PM
I used a welded up framework so the seats sat that little bit higher, but again, they were bolted through the floor at the back but used the original seat bolt holes at the front.

Al

Dan
08-11-04, 08:42 PM
yeh sorry benji, when i said positioning i didnt mean forward and back, obviously using the standard runner setup i retained the original seating height also.

benji
08-11-04, 08:53 PM
I used a welded up framework so the seats sat that little bit higher, but again, they were bolted through the floor at the back but used the original seat bolt holes at the front.

mine were bolted to the floor at the back and the origonal mounts at the front. but as mine isn't a show car :wink: it split the floor.

dan, i chopped the nova runners off. got to find another way of sorting it now

Al Wilson
08-11-04, 08:55 PM

mine were bolted to the floor at the back and the origonal mounts at the front. but as mine isn't a show car :wink: it split the floor.

Thats what I thought - it would put too much stress on the floor pan. Why don't you weld in an extra plate across the width of the car (like the front section) at the back and bolt it through that?

benji
08-11-04, 08:57 PM
i'll put up a pic of the frames, they're crap

Al Wilson
08-11-04, 08:58 PM
Ok mate, I can post a pic of my frames if you like? They are for Sparco fiment so I'm not sure if thats the same?

epo
08-11-04, 09:45 PM
nice one mate looks good

didnt realise you had a mk2 bumper on the rear

Riggy
08-11-04, 10:06 PM
nice one benji looks trally good :D

elsey197
08-11-04, 10:28 PM
Nice one mate, your car is really coming along now, its making me wanna get another nova for track use :D

benji
08-11-04, 11:59 PM
nice one mate looks good

lol you parked next to it all day at pv04.

SKoob
09-11-04, 10:11 AM
I had the opposite trouble with my cobra clubmans, using the tilt and slide frames I found they sat way to high off the floor, so I've gone back to good old SR seats :lol:

Dar
09-11-04, 10:28 AM
My seats are side mounted but I presume any help is welcome. I have took some piccys with the seats in to show you how I have mounted them. If you want a clearer photo let me know and I will take the drivers side seat out and take a piccy.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v485/DPursey/Dsc02364.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v485/DPursey/Dsc02363.jpg

Ian
09-11-04, 12:03 PM
borrow breenys booster cushion

benji
09-11-04, 12:10 PM
dar, how far off the floor is the bottom of your seat

Dar
09-11-04, 02:04 PM
About 5 inches from the floor to the bottom of the seat.

krobinson
09-11-04, 02:45 PM
Dont tell me i'm gonna have this kinda hassle?

I'm getting some cobra imola's, and side mounts, but have been told if i weld the cobra side mounts to the original Nova subframes, then they sit perfect, and give me full adjustment.

Anyone else done this?

Keith

scott.parker
09-11-04, 05:55 PM
Cage looks ace mate..car sis going to look good this year i see..

Now im a bit confused,where do you stand when wellding in seat subframes etc for buckets,as a mte did it and thene they faild on an mot,said you need it to be as it was from the factory,as if in crash this could kill you? whats the deal with the mot on this?

scott

epo
09-11-04, 06:07 PM
nice one mate looks good

lol you parked next to it all day at pv04.

:oops: yeah i noticed the front as you dont see many of then about i just never saw the rear :lol:

benji
09-11-04, 06:24 PM

Now im a bit confused,where do you stand when wellding in seat subframes etc for buckets,as a mte did it and thene they faild on an mot,said you need it to be as it was from the factory,as if in crash this could kill you? whats the deal with the mot on this?

scott

change mot center :wink:

DrivingSpanner
09-11-04, 06:29 PM

scott

I guess its all a matter of opinion nad how dodgy your mtes welding is!!!

Adam Moran
09-11-04, 06:57 PM
Cars looking real good my friend :wink:

I look forward to seeing you at the track :D

Ad

Jim
09-11-04, 10:49 PM
Keep it low, the lower the centre of gravity, the better ;)

Jim

Barn
09-11-04, 11:39 PM
i have the opposite to benji really...put the passenger side bucket in earlier (used existing subframes/runners) and when I jumped in the seat to have a try it seems really high?!

the runners are different to the ones that were in my Mk2 SR.

ideally, I want my seat (at least) to be lower.

although I duno whether its just me having to get used to it...but really the seat does seem high