PDA

View Full Version : what to get with 500quid

Mike.
07-11-04, 10:26 PM
just got my first pay packet :D (bout time to lol)

and i am spending it on my car, i was thinking a full suspension kit and a sportex system what do you guys think????

Phil_G
07-11-04, 10:36 PM
dont forget if you cant fit it yourself you would need to factor in the cost of fitting the components.

Personally i would get a good suspension kit and bushes, get it fitted and once thats done get the alignment etc checked out.

then next month get the exhaust etc.

Phil

Mike.
07-11-04, 10:39 PM
i can fit the suspension my self but getting the camber of the wheels and other related things set up properly might be a problem

5_door owner
07-11-04, 10:43 PM
hehe, i got my first wage the other day. i bought al wilsons exaust, rear bumper harnesses and skirts. then a slimline ps2 for the car and some other bits (?800 over 4 days :o ) and at the end of this month im gonna get a car (i no i should av got the car first but o well lol) and i just won this off ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7932557431&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT

ah well just need to wait 19 days till i can start my drivin lessons(17 on 25th) :oops:

if i were you dont think because you've got it you need to spend it but if somethin catches your eyes just go for it :+:

epo
08-11-04, 08:23 AM
i fitted my suspension myself and ran it how it was and my tyers are still mint sometimes you get lucky and wont have to touch camber or tracking

Ben
08-11-04, 08:28 AM
Find another ?150 and buy my GSi LMAO.

Nah go for the suspension but do as Phil said and do the bushes etc all at the same time, will save time etc later on.

robb
08-11-04, 09:55 AM
The front bushes are right cnuts to get out! And they make a noticable difference! Rear isn't too hard, or not as hard as people say.

benji
08-11-04, 10:02 AM
bushes are easy, i had no problems doing mine

DrivingSpanner
08-11-04, 01:07 PM
I found that the rear beam bushes (nylon/poly) can actually effect the handeling in a bad way because they can bind up and stop the beam from moving in its full arc... thus restricting movement and adding unwanted stiction to the whole thing...

Snowface
08-11-04, 03:27 PM
i've done all my mods to my car myself. Saves a lot of money.

epo
08-11-04, 04:23 PM

same here cant afford to pay people
+ having a dad whos a mechanic helps :lol:

Ste L
08-11-04, 04:27 PM

same here cant afford to pay people
+ having a dad whos a mechanic helps :lol:

yea im the same do all i can myself, mate's a mechanic and his dad does bodywork 8)

Nick
08-11-04, 05:47 PM
I'd also go for a Good suspension kit, but if your after an exhaust aswell then just bung a G-Max kit on (got mine new for ?190) but only if you like cracking your teeth driving over pebbles !

as for exhaust, go for an ashley system, or piper, something like that. It'l only cost you about ?150ish for a back system.

It's also worth getting the tracking done properly, i spent ?240 going through tyres untill i got my tracking/camber done properly, now my tyres have lasted 6 months with hardly any wear at all

Al Wilson
08-11-04, 06:34 PM
SEE BELOW \/ \/ \/ I have a nice selection of things remaining.

(This was not a shameless plug I promise)

DrivingSpanner
08-11-04, 06:47 PM
is it all up2 date al ???

Al Wilson
08-11-04, 06:57 PM
Yes mate. Few things are possibly gone but I have had no money. Until I have a cheque etc or know the persons not wasting my time, it says on sale.

Al

Mike.
08-11-04, 07:20 PM
i was thinking of a new nova but i'll see how much the repairs will cost on mine