PDA

View Full Version : TWIN 40'S

nathan.
07-11-04, 07:09 PM
ive bought some twin 40's, just need manifold and filters. i just wondered if anybody knows if the alternator has to be lowered to make way for the carbs, as it looks quite high up.

johnny27
07-11-04, 07:56 PM
It has to be lowered on 1200, 1300 and 1400. Not to sure about the 1600s though, what engine r u fitting them to?

nathan.
07-11-04, 08:09 PM
its a 1600. do you have to have a bracket to lower it?

VXRALLY
07-11-04, 08:33 PM
yes mate you will have drop it down by about 2ich. you may also have to make or buy a longer adjuster arm for the belt. but once you have done that you will need a shorter belt as well cos you have brought the alternater pully closer to the bottom pull. hope this help's :) but your carbs are differant to mine but hay its all trail and error

nathan.
07-11-04, 08:43 PM
cheers mate. do you know were i could these parts from?

http://www.novaload.net/features/viewfeature.php?ref=2141

VXRALLY
07-11-04, 09:30 PM
well the belt you can really get from any motor shop. as for the drop bracket i think you may need to speak to demon tweeks. failing that make one. its easy all you really need is two new nuts and bolts with lock washers a square piece of steel (approx 4mm thick so it dont bend) then drill two holes in it so you can bolt it to the block with the original bolts. then drill two more so you can bolt your alternater bracket to it with your new bolts. make sure you measure everything cos if you dont it will make the alternater sit on the pee and poss throw the belt off. if you fancy having a go your self. p.m me and i will talk it through with you so you know exactly what to do. soz if i bored you :lol:

nathan.
08-11-04, 10:49 AM
cheers for the help. im sure i could make a bracket. just need a manifold and i can fit em. proberly after winter though!!!! dont want em freezing up, lol!!!! do you have twin carbs then? you have no feature.

-Bruce-
08-11-04, 10:58 AM
you can easly make up the longer adjuster arm for the belt tension. just get 2 standard ajusters and cut and weld them together.

bruce

VXRALLY
08-11-04, 01:12 PM
yeah ido run some carb's. pic will come soon. only just started coming on here so its all a bit new. :lol: like isay any prob's just give me shout :wink:

Dan
08-11-04, 06:56 PM
lol you will have no probs with 40's freezing, its something i have never experienced over the years, only thing that has frozen first was my rad cos of the air temp, even then the forties didnt have any probs

nathan.
08-11-04, 06:59 PM
lol you will have no probs with 40's freezing, its something i have never experienced over the years, only thing that has frozen first was my rad cos of the air temp, even then the forties didnt have any probs

cool, even better, could fit them sooner then.

dont you have any problems what so ever withs carbs through the winter?

Dan
08-11-04, 07:18 PM
nope non at all. 3 pumps of the throttle pedal, turn key and away you go when cold.

MechaT
08-11-04, 07:55 PM
nope non at all. 3 pumps of the throttle pedal, turn key and away you go when cold.

Yeah, mine too! 3 pumps no more no less!

Pityacker put up a template for a alternator lowering bracket but I can't find it now.

m.d.
08-11-04, 08:00 PM
lol yeah thats what i do every morning and never fails, no point in the choke at all

Jim
08-11-04, 08:06 PM
Everything you need can be found here:

http://www.tuning.co.uk/vauxshop/en-gb/dept_630.html

Jim

Snowface
09-11-04, 03:07 PM
actaully not quite everything; as i found out.