PDA

View Full Version : engine mount strengthener

DirtyDave
07-11-04, 01:36 AM
i read a post on here back in june (call me lazy but i can't be arsed to go through all the past posts) about a silicone type product that u use on engine mounts to make them stronger? i think its Rhino or something like that. does anyone no what im talking about and where i can get it from?

Thanks

Dave

Mike
07-11-04, 02:03 AM
are you sure sum1's not bin pullin ur leg :?: :|

Aragorn
07-11-04, 08:32 AM
tiger seal

-Bruce-
07-11-04, 10:27 AM
tiger seal

or some old shite found in my garage that we thought would work like tiger seal but clearly did not. :oops:

bruce

p16vlv
07-11-04, 12:54 PM
if you know of a vulcanising place ask them to do it for you,it cost me 10quid and they fill the mount with rubber then put it in oven.makes it stronger but you still have the absorbtion cause its rubber.

Glytch
07-11-04, 12:56 PM
Or just buy upgraded mounts :?:

Philsutton
07-11-04, 05:31 PM
Or just buy upgraded mounts

i would go for that option, worth it in the long run

m.d.
07-11-04, 06:07 PM
its deffo worth upgrading the mounts, but i have just filled mine with window sealer (the balck stuff) and bits of old engine mount cut up and wedged into the gaps, (all held in with more windiow sealer) i could not believe how much stronger (stiffer) they feel, feels so much nocer dropping down gears now

burgo
07-11-04, 08:53 PM
it was a post by broody and i beleave he ended up using tiger seal

scott.parker
07-11-04, 11:34 PM
it was a post by broody and i beleave he ended up using tiger seal
what neil did something that was of some use to his car?? :lol:

scott

burgo
07-11-04, 11:41 PM
not really! cos knowing neil he would of strenthened the mounts and the extra vibrations will shake his car to bits beacause he hasnt reshelled it yet lol

j1400
08-11-04, 09:04 AM
http://www.decoratingdirect.co.uk/viewprod/b/BITHA6/

This is the stuff I used, in black. I made a mould from plywood so I couldinjecting and pressureise it a bit, then left it for a month while the engine out. I didn't leave the rear engin emount long enough though, cause I was lazy getting it off the car and left it a week, and it exploded :oops:
Makes lift off much nicer, engine doesn't whip around anymore.
Plus it's dead useful for rebuilding the engine too.

DirtyDave
08-11-04, 02:41 PM
Or just buy upgraded mounts :?:

good idea but mine is a turbo diesel so im pretty sure no-one does them for it. i think the tiger seal is a good idea coz i need a quick fix while the car is off the road for the next week. does anyone no where i can get some from????

Thanx guys.

Dave

5door_racer
08-11-04, 04:48 PM
as far as i know all the mounts are the same for all nova's so getting uprated mounts will be easy

DrivingSpanner
08-11-04, 05:47 PM
it all sounds a bit dodgy to me, i'd just get the proper uprated mounts

Aragorn
09-11-04, 11:53 AM
its got TAS uprated mounts on mine and i will be switching back to some tigerseal filled standard mounts

the TAS ones are simply too hard for daily driving and its really rattling the car to bits, its got more interior rattles now that it ever had and it gets REALLY annoying when im driving it 40-50 miles a day

DirtyDave
10-11-04, 02:21 AM
i 'm pretty sure i won't be able to get an uprated mount because the mount on mine has a bolt that goes through the tensioner pulley, and its really weak even though its new. the engine has a lot of flex in the engine bay due to the torque. thus sheering off the mount bolts to the engine and costing me a fortune each time it does it.
So i need to lose some more flex, one way im gonna do it is fit a damper to the back of the engine to the bulk head to absorb but i also want to strengthen than mount.
So any ideas where i can get tiger seal from??

thanx for your ideas

Dave 8)