PDA

View Full Version : Engine runs without key??

broony
03-11-04, 04:40 PM
Hey all,

With my mates 1.2, if he keeps his foot on the brake pedal, he's able to take the key out the ignition and the engine keeps running!

Also, when hes driving and touches the brakes, his headlights go on aswell!

Any ideas?

Dpnova
03-11-04, 04:45 PM
LMFAO sheer class. sorry i dont have any advice it just makes me laugh :lol:

dan-hipgrave
03-11-04, 04:48 PM
:o sounds like some REALLY dodgy wiring, maybe a corroded earth causing it mate...

DrivingSpanner
03-11-04, 06:18 PM
bad/dodgy/loose earth i would say but who knows!!!

burgo
03-11-04, 06:57 PM
fook knows but sounds funny as fook

-Bruce-
03-11-04, 07:12 PM
:lol:

i would also say a duff earth, probably on its way out.

bruce

Jules
03-11-04, 07:14 PM
Almost certain to be a dodgy earth - have fun tracking that one down!!
:lol:

DrivingSpanner
03-11-04, 07:32 PM
Almost certain to be a dodgy earth - have fun tracking that one down!!

hee hee :lol:

scott.parker
03-11-04, 07:39 PM
Hey all,

With my mates 1.2, if he keeps his foot on the brake pedal, he's able to take the key out the ignition and the engine keeps running!

Any ideas?

Well i would say the best idea is to take it to a garage,and quick by the sounds of things.. :D

scott

James B
03-11-04, 10:17 PM
if he is pressing the brakes and headlights are going on then check you have correct brake light bulbs.

cos the nova has stop/tail lights with twin electrodes, if you have replaced this bulb with a single electrode type, this will then touch both brake light and headlight circuits and every time you press the brake headlights will come on

have a check

Alex
03-11-04, 10:30 PM
deffo something in the wiring.
I remember the time when if i acelerated hard the doors would lock, and then when i braked they would unlock lol. random.

nathan.
03-11-04, 11:43 PM
check that the twin filiment brake light bulbs haven't been put in the wrong way. this can cause the headlights to come on.?( come across it before, took ages to find). if its not that then most likely earth fault. does it have an immobilizer?

robb
04-11-04, 10:30 AM
LMAO!

I just solved a problem like that, an immobiliser was acting random, I would turn the key to start and all lights and wipers came on...so I cut the immobiliser out and joined the oh so difficult to find cut circuit.

Dod
04-11-04, 07:48 PM
Hey all,

Any ideas?

Yeah, i know what to do, Call Scooby Doo, its haunted!!!

Woooooooooooooooooooooo, Beware the Haunted Nova of Broony's mate!!! :lol: :lol: