PDA

View Full Version : 1.6 Gsi on carbs !?

Nick
02-11-04, 11:22 PM
I have a 1.2carb nova mk2. And after being taken for a ride in a Impreza turbo i think i'm, gonna wait and put a LET in rather than a XE.

For the time being i think i'l get a 1.6Gsi engine, buy it complete with the fuel lines n tank.

But, for the time being i'd like to fit it in with minimal effort, how hard is it to get one running properly on t40's ?

I presume it'd be a case of a straight swap, still runing on my carb tank e.t.c.

What abouit the ECU/electrics, how much of them can i get rid of ?

cheers !

burgo
02-11-04, 11:25 PM
you can keep the same loom and electrics as you have now i beleave

Nick
02-11-04, 11:38 PM
so it'd be a swap Lump for Lump ?

What kinda power could i expect out of a 1.6on T40's ?

or is it worth Welding up,Switching the tank/lines e.t.c and just run it on injection so it's ready for the 2.0turbo? What kind of price am i looking at for the engine/loom/fuel tank/lines e.t.c to be installed ? im guessing it's quite expensive

Glytch
03-11-04, 08:25 AM
Take a look at this thread:

http://www.novaload.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=100844

Aragorn
03-11-04, 11:30 PM
that other thread is a bag of wank

u want 40's not some shite ass 32/34

and 40's will also increase power not reduce it

Nick
04-11-04, 05:50 PM
ahh cool

so i'm right in thinking that if i take some 40's and a gsi lump (minus electrics/ecu and fuel lines tank) to someone who knows what they are doing, they can rigg it all up for me ?

i read on the other thread that i will need an Electric Fuel pump ? is that right, as i know there is a fuel pump on the 1.2 at the mo, but this is sitting on the cam cover.

Jim
04-11-04, 08:13 PM
If your going to get a LET in a while, you might as well get a 2.0 16v XE rather than messing around trying to find carbs and get it all running. A 2.0 XE will produce more power than a 1.6 on carbs and will cost you a lot less.

Jim

Philsutton
04-11-04, 08:41 PM
you can use your tank, it will be a straight swap as there is no engine loom to mess about with

maxpaine
04-11-04, 08:51 PM
i do not know if the terme is correct why do you not use the part od an old 1.6S the part were the cam rest were is the ful pump?

Nick
06-11-04, 11:56 AM
hopefully i'l get a LET in a year or so, as insurance is non existent. I've tried !

But i think if i put a 2.0XE in i'd never get round to changing it over, and i can justify spending all that money on an xe. So for the time being i want something that'l be pretty quick with minimal effort, and a 1.6 on carbs seems to be just that.

Does anyone know anything about the inlet manifold ? can i put the T40's onto the GSi manfiold ?

DrivingSpanner
06-11-04, 12:26 PM
you will need a special manifold for the T40's as they wont fit on the origional manifold, they are peice of p toget hold of... even second hand!!!

crash_ndie
06-11-04, 11:12 PM
lose lines loom ecu. depending on what coil ya car is running u may need a new dizzy uint like off a 1.4 or 1.3 sr. dont want 2 sound like am pissing on ya parade but dont expect big power on a standard 1.6 you wont really notice the differance till u get the internals off the engine upgraded ie gas flowed, fast cam ect. u will get sum extra bhp out of it but all u doing is shoving a shit load off fule in that ya engine cant burn :roll:

Mike
07-11-04, 12:03 AM
get the GSi lump turbo'd. :twisted:

definetly easier, prrbly cheaper? :|

Nick
09-11-04, 06:41 PM
LMAO !

of course it wont be cheaper, the whole engine would need a serious rebuild. And it wouldn't be easier anyways.

and yes, it would be quicker than my 1.2 engine for the time being, i intend to do the head and i'd need a Kent cam anyway (to avoid having to change the dizzy and ignition e.t.c) even 130bhp would be alot quicker than it is now.

Dpnova
09-11-04, 07:24 PM
i took the 1.6 on carbs route not cheap if you do it properly and its quite time consuming if your not too clued up

Philsutton
09-11-04, 08:14 PM
get the GSi lump turbo'd.

definetly easier, prrbly cheaper?
i'd have to disagree, it would be easier to do the carbs, carbs are so simple to work with. If you do a turbo conversion right then you will be looking at a few thousand just for the parts.

Dan
09-11-04, 10:23 PM
u will get sum extra bhp out of it but all u doing is shoving a s**t load off fule in that ya engine cant burn

As phil started the correction process i just aswell join in.

If that is from personal experience then never go to the place that set your car up. I feel it is more of what you have heard tho, which is utter rubbish, the carbs can be jetted and choked to suit any engines characteristics and state of tune.