PDA

View Full Version : Alternator fittiing trouble!!

az_e11
02-11-04, 08:29 PM
I have finally got me new alternator for my 1.2 Nova
I need to fit it in, I know how to, its just the wiring bit I am a bit puzzled about, as my old Bosch unit looks slighly different.

On my car i have got a big red wire, a tiny dark coloured 1, and also a black 1 which is is to see where it goes, as it doesnt connect to the back of the unit, its the short earth wire.

on the back of the alternator, is it just the two wires i need to connect up the small 1 and the big 1, onto the bolts, does any 1 know if thats all the wires i need to connect

Here is pic of my alternator:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/az_e11/P000155643.jpg

What is the 1 that i av marked yellow for, is it just the 2 others marked that i am supposed to use

:(

Adam
03-11-04, 12:17 AM
The biggest wire, the red one will be the power feed to the battery, the other will be an earth lead.

dathers
03-11-04, 05:07 AM
The blue one looks like an earth,does the metal nut touch the casing,if it does its defo an earth,you dont 'have' to connect it but then your relying on the mounting bolt for an earth,just put a fairly chunky wire to the block somewhere.
Dave

Glytch
03-11-04, 08:16 AM
Isn't there a big fat brown earth that goes to the alternator bracket?

Otherwise the big red one goes on the larger bolt and the smaller wire goes to the smaller bolt.

THe one you have marked yellow will need to be connected for it to work. I've never seen a vauxhall alternator without this connection. Can you get pics of the old alternator as I am sure it would have that connection it.

I think that usually there is a blue plastic housing over the connection.

az_e11
03-11-04, 08:36 AM
Thats all my alternator came with,
So what do I need to do, with the sapde type conncetion( marked yellow 'D+'), where do i connect a wire from this too??

and yes I do have an earth wire to go on the bracket, and also off my car there is a chunky red wire, and a small wire, i think its blue/black, and am guesing these go directly onto the bolts on back of alternator, the big bolt and the samll bolt, is that right?

Its just the 1 i av marked yellow i am confused about, as it dont seem to have a wire on the spade bit( looks like its called 'D+', or do i need to get one my self??

robb
03-11-04, 01:33 PM
The chunky wire goes on the chunky stud connector.

The thin wire goes on the thin stud connector (is the telltale for battery guages/lights)

The missing spade (yellow one) connector is usually connected to that black box on the alternator, the regulator, but as you can see you don't have one from it.

Fit with the two wires, start up and check you have 14+V across the battery, if not then you need to find out about the spade one (marked yellow).

az_e11
03-11-04, 02:22 PM
Good news, I have just located antother wire on my car, its the spade type connector, so i am now guseing that this is the wire that I need to conncet up to the yellow spade bit after all right , i av marked above.

And basically just conncet the chunky red to the big bolt, and the other blue black to the small bolt, and the brown earth wire to the alternator braket.

sorted, I am sure that is right

cherz

8) 8)

robb
03-11-04, 03:06 PM
Yup, wire up and then test it. Best way. (DC tester, should be 14V+)

az_e11
03-11-04, 07:17 PM
I wired it all up, and it all seemed to be charging correctly,
I then came across a very strange problem m8, my engine would not switch off from the ignition, and I couldnt swith it off, so i left it running for a bit, as i had no choice but too.

until i decided to pull of the wire ( spade type) that i plugged onto the spade bit at yellow bit in the above pic, as soon as i done that the engine cut out, without this wire plugged in it all works alright, my engine does switch off from the ignition,
so what the hell is wrong.

I am very confused

:( :(

az_e11
03-11-04, 07:29 PM
It all seems to be working ok, without connecting the spade wire from my car to the spade (yellow one(D+)) connector on the alternator,

so would it be best to leave the spade conncetion off , or will this fook my alternator up. as it looks like this spade connection is called D+, what does that mean

As if i do make the spade conncetion, cant bloody switch my car off from the ignition, so i av no choice but to leave it off.
Please help!!!

Aragorn
03-11-04, 11:40 PM
d+ is the rectifier + connection

this needs to be attached to the car for the alternator to work

u will find u have a blue and white wire in the alternator loom (ie around or near the alternator)

this needs to be connected to the spade terminal

youve prolly got some other random spade attached to it which is feeding power back into the loom via some dodgy route

az_e11
04-11-04, 12:30 AM
Nope m8, i av double checked that, and the wire that i have used to connect to the spade connection is part of the alternaotr wiring loom, but its causing my car not to switch off from the ignition, when connected.

But without this wire connected it seems like the alternator is still charging, is this possible m8,

By not connecting this spade wire(d+), will my alternator get damged do u know??

:x :x

Aragorn
04-11-04, 07:41 AM
without the blue/white cable your car wont charge PROPERLY

what basically happens with that lead is simple, one end is connected to the rectifiers output which should be at 14v, it then runs to a dash bulb, which is connected to the standard 12v powersupply for the car

this means taht under normal operation, both sides of the bulb have 14v at them and subsequently the bulb cant light cos theres no voltage difference

however if the alternator dies internally, the diode packs start outputting less than 14v this causes a voltage differential across the bulb causing it to light up, with the brightness depending on how much the alternator has failed

now my question - does your alternator bulb work? with and without the spade attached? because if the bulb became a dead short then the alternators 14v output would get forced onto the wiring loom at the bulb, which will cause the ignition switch to do nothing, kinda similar to the mk2 hazard switch issue

try replacing the dash bulb - or at the very least remove it and see if the engine starts and stops normally with blue/white connected to alternator

Ste_Nova
04-11-04, 09:52 AM
the other spade you used... is it black/yellow?

all you need to connect is red to b+

and the charge light to d+

don't connect anything to the blue one.. thats just a bolt holding it together

az_e11
04-11-04, 11:20 AM
Sorry , but i dont understand what u mean by dash light bulb, i av currently got a digi dash on there could this be a problem.

and yes the other wire spade 1, is black and yellow, so ste r u saying not to connect anything to the 1 i have marked blue, does that mean i leave the black/yellow completly off,
and connect the blue/White to D+, and change the connection type to a spade type, and then connect chunky red to big bolt, and brown Earth to the earth braket.

nathan.
04-11-04, 02:51 PM
you should only have 2 wires going to the alternator. the thick red battery cable goes to the big threaded terminal, and your other thin wire goes to the spade terminal. the thin wire goes to your dash panel for the battery warning light. I think the small stud on the alernator is for mounting/supporting your wiring loom.

az_e11
04-11-04, 03:02 PM
Cherz, for the help, i have now got it working fine

8) 8) 8) :lol: :lol: