PDA

View Full Version : Cylinder head

dunova
02-11-04, 08:43 AM
I've just got a skimmed+ported cylinder head for my gsi, apart from stripping down the hydraulic lifters and replacing the valve stem seals what else is a good idea to replace/clean up?
Also, could i fit larger inlet and exhaust valves or are the standard one's quite desent anyway? If i can, where can i get larger valves from?
ANy info appreciated, cheers

Ben
02-11-04, 09:27 AM
Get a pressure test done as well.

dunova
02-11-04, 09:39 AM
Get a pressure test done as well.

Ben, do you know anyone in Bristol that does that sort of thing? What will it tell me aswell? Is it worth doing?

Stuart
02-11-04, 09:52 AM
if you ahve bigger valves cut in, you will be likely to need the head re porting etc so it will cost a fair bit, i mean to have bigget valves cut in (and supplied) was about ?300.

you may be better off selling the head you have and getting one from bill or cylinder head developments etc thats fully "ready" or just fit yours and see what gains you get with it.

dunova
02-11-04, 10:55 AM
I think i'll fit the head as it is. The amount it would cost me extra and the time etc i'm not sure would be worth the extra gains i would get. Is it just the valve stem seals i need to replace? And clean up the hydraulic valve lifters and head generally?

Ben
02-11-04, 12:49 PM
Terry

Try Brights auto centre on Filton Avenue and explain the situation they are excellent, they done my 1600 16v head.

Another one is Ashley autoparts on Ashley down hill but they take a long time.

There is a place on West St in Bedminster but dont know any details and another on Two Mile Hill Kingswood right buy Kingswood Cavaliers, it may even be worth ringing Gary there and asking him to recommend someone. he is a font of Knowledge.

j1400
02-11-04, 01:38 PM
Lap the valves in? and Acid dip the head too. get all the gunk out of it.

dunova
02-11-04, 08:37 PM
Okay cheers Ben, i'll prob go over brights auto centre on saturday then and see what they say.