PDA

View Full Version : tyres

benji
02-11-04, 12:27 AM
i'm after some tyres for track days, i spoke to demon tweeks today and they said a cheap but good tyre is the yoko a539. i can get 195/45/15's for ?42ea, or 195/50/15's for ?25ea

what should i go for?

cheers

ben

Stuart
02-11-04, 06:56 AM
semi slicks or stick with yer eagles

but getting them scrubbed down is a good idea ;)

benji
02-11-04, 07:40 AM
the eagles are too soft, they die.

what slicks are cheap?

Ben
02-11-04, 08:16 AM
Go through the rally parts pages and get some 1 event old tyres.

Stuart
02-11-04, 09:38 AM
Toyo T1's they are cheaper alternatives to F1's

talk to CP about why a scrubbed/very well worn road tyre is good.

CP
02-11-04, 07:05 PM
best is full slicks similar to those produced by dunlop - you can have a range of compounds - the best are the softest ones but they dont last and anyway they are all very expensive. They have very strong walls and edges which have a huge effect on their ability to hang on without rolling over.

next come the popular trackday specials - usually cut slicks with soft compounds. very good handling but still expensive.

next come std quality road tyres that are specially buffed down. Tweeks do this as a service - basically they remove most of the tread which stops them going badly off like fully treaded tyres do

best place to source/find out about trackday tyre deals is on the various trackday forums and associated race car sites.

Beware of buying shagged out ex rally tyres etc - can end up with a load of crap

DrivingSpanner
02-11-04, 07:20 PM
i ve got loads of yokohama advans (Really soft) slicks that u can get from me but they are 13 x 6ins im affraid plus 13 x 8 and use to you...all leftover/used this year... FREE