PDA

View Full Version : Whats your favorite 'driving' road?

karl Rowntree
31-10-04, 09:52 PM
Hi all

Well today i woke up early, and had been promising myself a day out in the Evo since i got it 2 months ago.

So i washed the car, got the gps out and a map and off i went in search of some decent driving roads. I live in Birmingham so i dont get to drive on country lanes that often, so i headed towards cannock chase via lichfield and Roughley, not touching main roads. I stopped off at curborough sprint track hoping it would be open but was all locked up.

Anyway after a 30 mile drive i arrived at cannock chase which is a vast woodlands surrounded by amazing roads and quite a few deer! What an amazing place the views are superb and most of all the car was putting a smile on my face like never before. Sounds cheesy but really was a brilliant day and reminded me why i had bought the car. I didnt do silly speeds as there is alot of wildlife up there and didnt fancy killing anything (again) or myself. Just enjoyed driving long sweeping roads.

So my question is what is your favorite driving road? I fancy a trip out again soon and wouldnt mind travelling, so come on what are the best roads in England?

Thanks for reading. Karl

General Baxter
31-10-04, 09:55 PM
the chase ;)

and down past lichfield into tamworth :lol:

burgo
31-10-04, 09:58 PM
all the roads around northants are ok so many back roads, i drove 70 miles just round where i live and got the car filthy :lol: still need to clean it lol

Paul16v
31-10-04, 10:02 PM
penrith - alston(heartside)is one of the best roads in england i ve take a few of my cars over there (2.0l valver nova ,2l turbo nova,106 gti and my honda integra Type r) novas just wheelspin out of the hairpins its great fun!!

scott.parker
31-10-04, 10:14 PM
Karl you want to come and drive it round by me mate,ther is loads of small villages adn you can only get to then viea country roads( i live in stratford on avon,it where shakespear was born)
Well one off the best roads is a road that go's to a small village call wilmcoate and its got potholes to dodge and deer as well,but the worst is blody pheasant's there a right pain to clean off :lol: nahh but you have to love country roads in the summer,as when i went over to leamington the otherday(the roads wer damp) i just found it almost imposible to keep any traction into rounderbouts or out of tight corners,valver and wet roads dont really mix...

scott

krobinson
31-10-04, 10:15 PM
Well, i'm not familiar with english back roads. But i'm surrounded by small country roads, Some just wide enough for one car! These aint too good for flying along, but are great for just following to see what interesting new places that can take you! Loads of small lakes and rivers flow passed them, beautiful countryside etc.

There's only one motorway here in NI, and its 60 miles+ from my house. So pretty much everyroad you drive on is a A/B road. With nice views etc.

Keith

karl Rowntree
31-10-04, 10:23 PM
nbaxter, your familiar with it then, at a guess you dont live far from me.

when i went over to leamington the otherday(the roads wer damp) i just found it almost imposible to keep any traction into rounderbouts or out of tight corners,valver and wet roads dont really mix...

Damp roads, what damp roads? Thats what i love about the evo, it doesnt matter if its belting done it allways grips! 8) I prefer early cold mornings tbh, today was just perfect.

Keith, i dont think i can afford the petrol money to get to NI :lol:

scott.parker
31-10-04, 10:33 PM
[quote]when i went over to leamington the otherday(the roads wer damp) i just found it almost imposible to keep any traction into rounderbouts or out of tight corners,valver and wet roads dont really mix...

Damp roads, what damp roads? Thats what i love about the evo, it doesnt matter if its belting done it allways grips! 8) I prefer early cold mornings tbh, today was just perfect.

Yeah i thnik you have forgot what my car handels like,come on you seen how i like to drive it a few weeks ago :lol: ..

But there is some good roads for tearing round by me,but i learnt my limet when i was young and had only just passed my test,i lost my backend on a country reoad,funny enogh going into willmcote,and trash my first car,mk2 fiesta,oh and took out a small cheery tree :? ,and then tryed it with the next tree wich was a huge oak(onlt one for miles around lol) and that one stoped me fast! :lol:

But they say you learn by your misstakes,and you do... :D

scott

Ojc
31-10-04, 10:58 PM
A43 from the M40 junction onwards towards Northampton past Silverstone, excellent fast dual carriageways.

Couple of foward facing cameras but as long as your aware of them its all good.

Mike
31-10-04, 11:58 PM
karl, i do agree that the chase makes for sum excellent driving. i only live few miles from it :D

in the rain and darkness with sum fcuk off rally slag piaa lights makes for a whole night of fun in an SR, 2 seater mega revvy pocket rocket!

i do it all the time, :lol: :twisted:

Col_Mk1
01-11-04, 12:36 AM
ravenglass :wink: been in mags for a good road 2

robb
01-11-04, 10:31 AM
Forest of dean and Wye Valley area, also into Wales, loads of hills and corners.

Ste_Nova
01-11-04, 11:01 AM
borrow some keys and abuse this >>>

http://ukga.com/images/content/image626.JPG :lol:

Jim
01-11-04, 10:15 PM
I drove up to Northampton tonight from Milton Keynes along the A508. I've not driven this road for a while and have to say it's pretty good. Perhaps not enough turns as I'd like, but it's a wide road and the road itself is in fairly good condition.

I also drive up the A52/3 from Derby to Stockport. Although it's only 50mph, there are parts of the road where you can really open up the car and some lovely sweeping corners.

Jim

Dan
01-11-04, 10:26 PM
Forest of dean and Wye Valley area.

Some good taste there and i agree the rounds in my area are spot on and a great breeding ground for idiots who like driving on proper roads :wink:

When not at home the journey from mine to pod and that area is great fun. From top of birdlip hill in glos the fun starts until hitting the A43 about half way there.

m.d.
02-11-04, 08:36 PM
i love the track, but on the roads i love the fast long sweeping bends of the cornish roads, the two lane national speed limmit roads, that seem to have corners for miles. :D

Rick Draper
02-11-04, 11:14 PM
I love the roads around where i live, Buxton road s the best road in the UK for bikers and when you know it like me and my mates do you can shift along it in a car. There is a massive variation in roads in and around cheshire and i dont think you get any better anywhere in the UK. Rick

MechaT
03-11-04, 12:54 AM
A338 from Hungerford to Wantage - 20 miles of twists, straights, and chicanes. The whole stretch has been fully resufaced - not just had some grit and tar scattered on it (what, a properly done road in Britain?!?). Gotta be the only road worth the road tax.
almost totally empty almost all the time. No cameras, no cops.
Perfect road to test your engine and suspension setup.