PDA

View Full Version : Centre of Gravity

jon_boy
31-10-04, 05:17 PM
For part my coursework at uni i have to find the contre of gravity for our formual student car. i can do the front/back part and the left/right part but need to find the method for how to find the height of the CoG. It involves putting the car on a tilting board or something? anyone got any clues or know any good websites? cheers for any help, jon.

Sorry dont know if this should be in muppet corner but hey! It is random...

Stuart
01-11-04, 09:29 AM
hmm more engineering lol

have you got any mitchel software (i think thats what its called) that you put the vehicles geometry into it and it calcs the CoG

or go to the library and get the race and rally source book, and other suspension books etc. ie do some work at uni :p lazy fecking students

DrivingSpanner
01-11-04, 01:33 PM
spot on reply.... USE THE LIBARY... another good book is one of the carol smith books... Design to win

DrivingSpanner
01-11-04, 01:34 PM
or is it tune to win i always get the two mixed up. well i know its NOT prepare to win!

jon_boy
01-11-04, 01:36 PM
not so much as lazy but trying to do too much. left this bit fo work till the last minute, been concentrating on the formual student stuff. anyways i found a good website that sorted me out. quite handy. www.racepartswholesale.com/longtech but thanks for the "advice" anyway lads

DrivingSpanner
01-11-04, 01:40 PM
what uni are you at... any exciting parts on you FSEA car???? PUT THE DRIVERS FEET BEHIND THE FRONT AXLE

Stuart
01-11-04, 03:01 PM
they cant put the drivers feet behind the front axel as the car ahs to fit a certain footprint/aspec ratio so the track of the car would ahve to be atleast 2-3' wider to do so and thats against the rules lol

not very safe rules huh ;)

i managed to stay at an arms length from the formula stupid project at mine ;) but i did help them with traction control as that was my dissertation.

DrivingSpanner
01-11-04, 06:33 PM
the rules are to try to stop the cars being used in any other catagries/competitions actually they can do that but the longer wheel base means that they would struggle to get around some of the courses they have to go around... UCLANs car this year has the feet behind the front axle.... Ha i do read Racecar engineering to, so im well up on the arguement cambridge!!!

Stuart
01-11-04, 07:06 PM
the whole competition is pants. i mean why let a bunch of drunken students build a race car tahts really really gimpy!!!

GT cars would be far more rewarding ;)

as i say i kept just far enough away from the swansea institute car to not be responsible for too much appart from consulting for the ECU

DrivingSpanner
01-11-04, 07:16 PM
GT CARS... didnt have anything to do with Darrian did you????

Stuart
01-11-04, 07:19 PM
oh hell no!!!

i started making a loom for an ultima team, but they had to shelv it as the dosh was needed for the company lol

DrivingSpanner
01-11-04, 07:25 PM
which team was it???? master or Blower?

Stuart
01-11-04, 07:26 PM
pass

was a company called "prosport" in port talbot

DrivingSpanner
01-11-04, 07:29 PM
prosport... wasnt the very first ultima based on the prosport race car (a space framed gt car that was like a not very good group C car?

dathers
02-11-04, 05:10 AM
anyone got a web address for racecare engineering or wholesale,the one above doesnt work for me and it sounds like an interesting site.
Dave