PDA

View Full Version : new cars and high mileage

benji
30-10-04, 09:16 AM
2003 03 Reg RENAULT Clio 1.5 dCi 100 Dynamique Top Gear Cars 3 Doors, Manual, Hatchback, Diesel, 53,000 miles, Metallic Silver, 2 Owners. ABS, Adjustable seats, Adjustable steering column/wheel, Central locking, Driver airbag, Electric mirrors, Electric windows, . . . . (trade)
?5,750

very cheap but high mileage, although it is trade so will have a warrenty, what do ya'll think, don't want no comment about it being french. i'm really after a 306 hdi but can't find one so i'm going to test drive this today, and i am also going to have a look at a corsa c dti, and i'll go to renault to see what the dci really cost

scott.parker
30-10-04, 09:28 AM
well mate if you want the 306 well stick to looking for one,or els you will be well pi55ed off if you buy the clio then two weeks latter you will find a 306 just what you wer after,it allways happens so dont rush in,trust me :D

But it is high'ish for the year but not a diesel,as you know there good for loads of miilage,the old citron(reall big ones that use hydrolic suspesion)
i know that they can do over 300.000 just with a sevice every 12months..

I have a 205 van for work,deseil of cours and it has just clocked up 176000 and she go's well(i drive it like a rally van :lol: )
so dont look at the millage as indication on the overall condition,just use your commonsence and you will find a good one mate.

scott

krobinson
30-10-04, 10:33 AM
Mate, dont buy a 306 or clio. I work in a motorfactors and sell loads of drop links and bushin's for the 306/406. They go every few months, your head will be tortured. Also if you tamper with the engine/boost, it WILL blow up.

Best car i could recomend as a runabout would be a 1.7td cavalier. You can pick up a 1995 one for under ?1000, one of the most reliable, comfortable car's you can own for this money. Only thing i ever sell for them is filters, and the odd wishbone.

Keith

-Bruce-
30-10-04, 11:11 AM
im not sure about the 306 or clio either!! what about the VW Golf the diesel? they have had very good fead back on them power and econommy wise, but again i have heard that they get premature engine wearing as they are so highly tunned.

but if you really want a 306 i would just stick it and keep looking a good one that suits you will come up soon.

bruce

Ste_Nova
30-10-04, 11:21 AM
Only thing i ever sell for them is filters, and the odd wishbone.

Keith

and arb links :lol: i'm allways having to change them

dan_mk1
30-10-04, 12:06 PM
A mate has the clio and its a nice car mate, comfy, handles well, nippy enough for round town...and 60mpg! well specced aswell compared to the corsa....

steve-o
30-10-04, 01:50 PM
we have a newish clio as a company car at work,(its not diesel tho) and its the worst thing ive ever driven i hate it, make sure you give it a proper test drive before you part with any cash

benji
30-10-04, 06:24 PM
thanks for the info lad's.

i looked at the clio today, it was very tidy bodywork but i couldn't get in it to have a look inside, but it looked like a base model. i also looked at some corsa's, i think i prefer the clio but the corsa will be cheaper in parts. i am also considering a 1.2 16v sxi, as the difference in price between that and a diesel is less than the extra cost of petrol over the next 2/3 years, kel has one as a curtosey car for thr next few weeks so i will see what the fuel costs are like compared to her old 106 xnd. the one we have now is a base model, it wheel spins in 2nd and will do close to 110 carrying 4 people :D

scott, i have a berlingo 'rally' van, it's got 195,000 on the clock and is still going strong

epo
30-10-04, 06:31 PM
my berlingo vans got 56k on the clock and its nippy but will only do 95mph flat out

heater speed control doesnt work on it but its getting fixed on monday

retrosi
30-10-04, 07:08 PM
the corsa 1.3cdti is an amazing engine if you can find one. although it is more common in vans. The 1.7 dti's are old hat and aint up to much. Just for your info if you go for a diesel corsa.

Ste_Nova
30-10-04, 07:54 PM
i had a go in a corsa 1.7cdti sri a few weeks ago... just a bit nippy

price ?12695
insurance Group 6
engine 1686cc
top speed 116 mph
0 - 62 mph 10.5 s
power 100 bhp

retrosi
30-10-04, 10:50 PM
tell you what a fast diesel is, the 1.9cdti, the vauxhall wersion of the fiat engine, in the Vectra C before they modified the exhaust system for emissions and reworked and recalled the cars...that was a fecking flying machine! And even after the rework the car is still a fecking flyinf machine. In my opinion, diesels are the next performance engines and Honda are leading the way after redesigning the diesel. They just need to make the turbos with less lag, say twin turbos, and petrol engines will be flat out trying to keep up.
However, they will never beat a set of twin 40's on a 2litre planted into a nova!