PDA

View Full Version : wheel moving

Dave
29-10-04, 03:32 PM
i have a daft question that hopefully someone can answer

why when the front end is jacked up an with the engine running at idle and in neutral does the road wheel turn?

General Baxter
29-10-04, 04:35 PM
no pressure on the gearbox so it will spin :lol:

sortoff! :wink:

NoVa_KhAn
29-10-04, 06:17 PM
lol i noticed that with mine 2 blady wierd

Dar
29-10-04, 06:41 PM
When your car is out of gear the gears in the gearbox are still turning (unless you have the clutch pressed). Its just out of gear. You get a certain ammount drag on the drive train when the gears are spinning and this drag is enough to turn the wheels when they are off the deck.

Its easier to see than explain in afraid.

Dod
29-10-04, 11:26 PM
OK, I've noticed it as well. I just thought all that card board and sticky tape wasn't doing its job properly.

General Baxter
29-10-04, 11:30 PM
When your car is out of gear the gears in the gearbox are still turning (unless you have the clutch pressed). Its just out of gear. You get a certain ammount drag on the drive train when the gears are spinning and this drag is enough to turn the wheels when they are off the deck.

Its easier to see than explain in afraid.

kinda what i said ;)

DrivingSpanner
30-10-04, 05:28 PM
its caused by the oil drag as there is little/far less resistance due to the wheels being off the ground. If 1 part of the box is tunding the oil drag will move other parts to some degree. thats why when you depress the clutch they should stop as the gbox internals shoud also come to stop.